Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Community resources and funding assistance

Ver esta página en Español

Accessing all of the resources you need to support yourself, your family, and your community is critical during these challenging times. Public benefits, resources, and services are designed to respond to the needs of the community. When you access benefits and services, don’t worry that you’re taking resources away from someone else in need.

If you need food

If you need help paying for food, SNAP can help. You can apply online and do not need to go into a DHS office. During this public health event, flexibility has been increased and there are new ways to purchase food. Many community resources are also available to help. See Partners for a Hunger-Free Oregon’s COVID-19 webpage to find out more, including updates about SNAP benefits, nutrition services offered through K-12 school districts, and Oregon Food Bank’s Find Food Page. If you have questions about SNAP or your application, you can contact cp@pcc.edu to find out if a DHS SNAP Navigator might be able to assist.

If your employment has been impacted

See Oregon Employment Department’s COVID-19 webpage to find out about the increased flexibility and expansion of who can qualify for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits due to a job loss, temporary layoff, or loss in work hours. Individuals may qualify when an employer stops operation for a short period of time, during a quarantine, or when caring for a sick family member. To file a claim, visit the Oregon Employment Department website and click “File Your New Claim” or call 877-345-3484. OED has also put together a resource list for employers, workers, and job seekers.

If you have contracted COVID-19 while at work, contact the Workers’ Compensation Division of the Department of Consumer and Business Services for information on filing a workers’ compensation claim related to coronavirus. They can also be contacted at 800-452-0288 or workcomp.questions@oregon.gov.

If you need childcare

The Employment-Related Day Care program (ERDC) helps eligible low-income families pay for child care while they are working. Copays have been reduced to $0, and income eligibility has expanded. To apply, you can use the same online application to apply for ERDC as you do for SNAP and TANF. 211Info also can help, providing information on how to apply and find childcare.

If you need work

WorkSource has services available for job seekers. See the COVID-19 updates to find out about virtual services and resources available. There is also a shortage of Oregon child care providers. The state of Oregon is rapidly screening home child care providers. To apply, call 211; your name and phone number will be recorded, and you will be contacted with information about paperwork and training.

If you need an emergency grant

If you need emergency funds as a PCC student, emergency grants and loans may be available on our emergency funds page

If you need help finding resources or services

The PCC Counseling office has a Resource and Referral Team of Social Workers available to help students navigate the many college and community-based resources available to them.

211info can help you find community resources, including social and health services. Hours are 7 days per week, 8am-11pm.

  • Call 211 or 1-866-698-6155
  • Text your zip code to 898211 (TXT211)
  • Email help@211info.org

If you need health insurance or care

See the Oregon Health Authority webpage to find out more information on how to apply for the Oregon Health Plan, find private plans sold on HealthCare.gov, or find healthcare providers. These options can help when you lose coverage, do not get health insurance through an employer, or qualify for additional coverage. There are special options for COFA islanders, members of tribes, and small businesses.

If you need mental health support

  • PCC Counseling: Offers individual and group counseling services as well as social work services through a remote telehealth platform.
  • Multnomah County Call Center/Crisis Line: If you or somebody you know is having trouble functioning, we are here to listen. Our team of mental health professionals is prepared to help anyone experiencing mental health issues at any time, in any language.
    • 503-988-4888 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
  • Yamhill County Call Center/Crisis Line: Yamhill County Health and Human Services provides Urgent Mental Health Services for Yamhill County Health and Human Services clientele and individuals in psychiatric crisis presenting at our offices, local emergency departments, or who are interfacing with law enforcement in the community.
    • 844-842-8200 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
  • Columbia County Call Center/Crisis Line: Crisis intervention is available 24 hours a day through telephone, walk-in, and mobile services. Mobile crisis services are provided in the community and at the location where the crisis is occurring. If you need help after hours, our main office line or Direct Crisis Line provides telephonic support with the ability to deploy on-site services if needed.
    • 503-397-5211 or 1-866-866-1426 (after hours)
  • Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare Urgent Walk-In Clinic: This clinic is open 7 days a week, from 7am–10:30pm, and is located at 4212 SE Division St., Suite 100, Portland, OR 97206. Insurance is not a barrier.
    • 503-674-7777
  • Hawthorn Walk-in Center: The Hawthorn Walk-in Center provides urgent care services for mental health and addiction concerns. Appointments are not necessary, but if you would like to make one, or if you need help during hours that the Hawthorn Walk-In Center is closed, please call the 24-hour Washington County Crisis Line at 503-291-9111.
  • Kaiser Crisis Line: 503-331-6425
  • National Suicide Prevention Hotline: English: 800-273-8255 Spanish: 800-628-9454
  • Oregon Youthline: YouthLine is a free, confidential teen-to-teen crisis and helpline. Text: Teen2Teen to 839863 to instantly text with another person.
    • 877-968-8491
  • Trevor Project: The Trevor Project supports LBGTQiA+ Youth. Their trained counselors are available 24/7. If you are a young person in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need of a safe and judgment-free place to talk, call the TrevorLifeline. Text START to 678678 or call (866) 488-7386.
  • My3-Support Network App: MY3, a mobile application (mobile app), is owned and maintained by the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. MY3 is for individuals who may be having thoughts of suicide, or who have a history of suicidal behavior. It is designed to help these individuals stay safe when they are experiencing thoughts of suicide.
  • Lifeworks NW: LifeWorks NW promotes a healthy community by providing quality and culturally responsive mental health and addiction services across the lifespan throughout Washington County, Clackamas County, and Multnomah County.

If you are experiencing domestic violence

Find support and learn about available resources, including shelter information. Contact Call to Safety (formerly Portland Women’s Crisis Line), a 24-hour helpline providing resources and support for survivors of domestic and sexual violence, at 503-235-5333 or toll-free at 1-800-235-5333.

PCC Campus Outreach & Advocacy Project: For PCC students, the Campus Outreach & Advocacy Project provides confidential support services to students who have experienced harm. Contact hayley.hayes@pcc.edu for more information about the advocacy and services available at the college and in the community. Work cell: 503-619-7041 (texting available).

If your power and water service might be shut off

During the outbreak, power and water services will not be shut off, regardless of ability to pay. Oregon’s largest utility companies, Pacific Power, Portland General Electric (PGE), and Northwest Natural, announced on March 12 that they will be temporarily extending services without late fees to support Oregonians due to the outbreak of COVID-19. For help paying utility bills, contact 211Info to find community-based organizations and/or resources that can help.

If you might be evicted

Oregon’s state-wide moratorium ended June 30, 2021, however, there are still protections in place for tenants related to the pandemic. Find more information and options available to you on Portland’s Rental Services page. You can also reach the Renters Rights Hotline at 503-288-0130 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, 1-5pm, and on Tuesdays, 6-8pm. The hotline is staffed almost entirely by volunteers, and usually returns calls within one or two days.

If you need help with housing and shelter

You can access a complete list of Oregon Shelters on the Homeless Shelter Directory website. Many are emergency shelters, along with general homeless shelters and some transitional housing opportunities. Please note that many of these shelters now have waiting lists. Please call before going to them. If you need help with rental assistance or other services to help with housing insecurity, contact 211 to find out what services are available.

If you need an internet connection or technology

Learn more about your internet service provider and mobile carrier options. If you have a technology need as a PCC student, given the move to virtual instruction, funds may be available to purchase the resources you need through an emergency grant.

If you are on SNAP and want extra support

If you are on SNAP and interested in support to reach your college and career goals, along with financial assistance to help with tuition, fees, books, and transportation, find out more about STEP. With the move to remote instruction and the added challenges resulting from COVID-19, we have increased capacity to assist students who are pursuing transfer pathways, general studies, and more. Students who need extra support to stay enrolled in courses, want help navigating resources, need assistance finding new employment, or are grappling with the loss of work should email cp@pcc.edu or call 971-722-6218 to hear about options.

If you want to volunteer

The American Red Cross now faces a severe blood shortage due to an unprecedented number of blood drive cancellations during this coronavirus outbreak. Healthy individuals are needed to donate now to help patients counting on lifesaving blood. Donating blood is a safe process and people should not hesitate to give or receive blood.

The American Red Cross has a history of denying blood donations from LGBTQiA+ identified people. While this is not in accordance with PCC’s values, blood donations are incredibly critical at this time, so please consider donating if you can. To find a location to donate, please visit the Blood Drive website.

The Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon (APANO) is seeking volunteers to help those who can’t leave their homes during this time – including our elders, those living with chronic illness, and other neighbors in the Jade District who are at high risk. Help is needed to deliver groceries, pick up supplies, assist people to get their prescriptions, and more. You can sign up at the APANO website. The list will be shared with groups and community-based organizations that are doing mutual aid work around COVID-19 for our neighbors within and adjacent to the Jade District.

To volunteer to deliver food with Meals on Wheels, please visit the Meals on Wheels Volunteer Hub and sign up for a virtual orientation.

Have a question?

If you have any questions about the topics listed above or on any topic relating to COVID-19, please email covidquestions@pcc.edu.