AM – Automotive Service Technology Instructor Qualifications
AST Instructor Qualifications:
The qualified candidate will meet ALL of the minimum requirements for EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and RELATED INSTRUCTION as shown below:
- Average of 20 hours per year of documented automotive industry continuing education for at least the last 5 years that meets ASE Education Foundation accreditation requirements, OR
- A 2-year certificate or higher from an accredited institution with the commitment to complete an associate degree prior to the end of probation
- Possession of all 8 ASE’s, or a minimum of 6 ASE’s with the commitment to complete the remaining certificates by the end of probation. Must obtain Maintenance and Light Repair (G1). Advanced Engine Performance (L1) must be obtained if teaching Auto Shop Lab or Engine Performance courses.
Note: Related Instruction qualifications follow the EXPERIENCE section below.
A combination of automotive teaching experience in an accredited institution and/or automotive service and repair experience in a commercial repair facility equal to 5 full years, and have:
- Experience living/working in multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment
- Current and Valid Driver’s License with clean driving record with the ability to complete PCC driver’s training
- Ability to operate typical automotive machinery and complete training for new equipment as necessary
All Automotive Service Technology (AST) courses include related instruction in Computation, Communications and Human Relations.
In order to adequately teach these courses, the following qualifications must be met:
- Completion of Math 58 or Math 65 or demonstrated math competency related to automotive service (for Computation).
- Writing 121 or Writing 227 or demonstrated writing competency related to automotive service (for Communication).
- Documented 2 years of work experience supervising employees, serving in a customer service position or providing mentorship to apprentice technicians (for Human Relations).
Revised: April 2019