BI - Biology Instructor Qualifications
Master’s degree in the subject area or Master’s degree in related area plus 30 quarter hours of graduate credit in subject area.
Degrees in the following areas should be regarded as Master’s degrees in subject area.
- Animal Behavior
- Animal Sciences
- Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine (DC)
- Doctor of Dental Science (DDS or DMD)
- Doctor of Osteopathy (DO)
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM)
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Education/Science Education—assuming 30 graduate credits in any of the other subjects
- ESR (Environmental Science and Resources)
- Evolution/Evolutionary Biology
- Marine Biology
- Medical Doctor (MD)
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Naturopathic Doctor (ND)
- Plant Sciences
- Wildlife Biology
This list may not be inclusive as there are other degree titles that may be appropriate for the subject and related areas. The Division Dean, consultation with the Faculty Department chair will make a recommendation to the Dean of Instruction about the applicability of a particular degree that is outside the scope of this list. The Department Chair can determine the applicability of a particular degree to teaching a specific biology course.
A part-time instructor without a Masters or Doctorate may be approved if they have 30 quarter hours of graduate credit in the subject area and are actively pursuing the degree and are anticipated to be awarded the degree within six months of hire,as determined by the instructor’s graduate advisor (a letter from the advisor will be required and kept on file.)
Approved June 2011
Instructor Qualfications for BI prior to June 2011