Research support framework
The following shows where Biology fits into the Research Support Framework developed by PCC Librarians.
- I can develop a topic
- I can search a database and get related results
- Begin academic writing
- Begin informational research
Library support of CCOGs
These are the course outcomes and other indicators which require library support.
- Gather information, assess its validity, and differentiate factual information from opinion and pseudo-science by learning and practicing methods used by biological scientists
- Recognize scientific information and its role in decision making
Course integrated research support
These are the ways that the librarians can support information literacy achievement for the students in this course.
- Gather credible information sources
- Measure factualness and validity of sources
- Use search strategies familiar to biological scientists
- Locate scientific reports, journal articles, and other professional level artifacts
- Define general indicators of credibility
- Compare and evaluate open web and sources from databases for factualness and validity
- Identify and use controlled vocabularies in searching
- Use specialized search engines, library databases and journal browsing to locate sources that biological scientists would use
- Define a research topic in a hierarchical fashion, broad to specific
- Differentiate between databases for relevance to topic
- Differentiate key words from subject headings
- Use reference tools for building background knowledge