Getting Started with Ebook Central
What is Ebook Central?
Ebook Central is Portland Community College Library’s new ebook platform. In Ebook Central, you can browse and check out hundreds of thousands of e-book titles in the sciences, humanities, the arts, business, computer science, engineering, and other academic disciplines. It combines two ebook platforms you may have previously used through the PCC Library website: EBL and eBrary. The same content is still available in Ebook Central, it’s just now more centrally located.
How do I get started with Ebook Central?
- Go to Ebook Central through the library’s A-Z database list.
- Search for books from the Ebook Central homepage by entering a keyword, ISBN, or other terms into the search box on the homepage.
- Pro tip: put quotes around exact keyword phrases, like “autism spectrum disorder”, to get more refined results. You can also use the Advanced Search or Browse Subjects links, located underneath the search bar, to refine or expand your search results.
- Narrow search results by publication year, subject, and other filters. Keywords you searched for will be highlighted in the search results.
- Learn more about a book by selecting a title or the “Table of Contents and More” button (it looks like a bulleted list) in the upper-right corner of each search result. Here you will find the table of contents, book availability for online reading and download, copy and print allowances, and bibliographic data.
- Open a book by clicking the “Read Online” button to read, search for keywords within the book, and jump to relevant chapters. Read by scrolling or flipping through pages.
- Learn more about how to create a citation, get a link to a specific page or chapter, or do more in Ebook Central.
- FYI: you can create a Bookshelf to organize and share your research, share a book or an entire folder of books with others, or export the notes you’ve taken in a book.
Can I move my eBrary Bookshelf to Ebook Central?
Yes! If you had an eBrary Bookshelf, you will be prompted to move this Bookshelf over to Ebook Central the first time you visit Ebook Central. Just say “Yes” when prompted to make the move.
How do I download books or chapters to use offline?
We’ve got a page devoted to instructions on downloading and using content offline from Ebook Central! In short: there are several ways to download (from PDF to transferring a chapter or book to your chosen device). Ebook central will even guide you through the process of transferring a book to your device once you’ve chosen the device.