Programs to prepare you for college
PCC is committed to the academic advancement of our community. The programs below provide a diverse set of pathways to reach your goals.
- Prepare for your GED® test with Adult Basic Education
Develop reading, writing, and math skills so you can prepare for and pass the GED® test, enter college, or training programs. The program offers classes in English at four main college campuses, two workforce training centers, online, in county jails and prisons and has family literacy programs in some public schools.
- Developmental Education
- Prepare for PCC's college credit programs - and for your chosen career. Many students already enrolled in credit courses take developmental classes as needed to meet the requirements of their degree program. Courses include reading, writing and mathematics. Support services, including tutoring are also available. Financial aid funds can be used for most developmental education courses. Project DEgree is a new DE program at the PCC Southeast Campus that offers an optional cohort approach to Development Education.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Improves English communication skills of students for whom English is not their native language. Eight ESOL levels serve the needs of adult refugees, immigrants, permanent residents and U.S. citizens. Levels 4 - 8 also serve the needs of professional personnel working or training in the U.S., international students, and international visitors. Reading, writing, listening, speaking and pronunciation are taught.
- High school completion
PCC offers the following options for students seeking high school completion.
- Adult Basic Education, which prepares students to take the GED® test.
- GED® tests, which are offered weekly through PCC.
- PCC Links Programs, which are limited to qualifying students who are 16-20 years of age and in select school districts.
PCC recommends that high school students first contact a counselor at their high school to discuss options.
- Get a Head Start on College
- Whether currently enrolled in school or not, PCC offers many programs for high school age students. They can assist you in earning your high school diploma and getting a head start on college. Programs include high school completion, ESL, GED® test preparation and other programs for youth.
- Special Education Classes
Programs for special education students emphasizing independent living skills and training.
GED® is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education and may not be used without permission. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license.