Prepare for the GED® test with Adult Basic Education classes.
Program description and eligibility
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) is a non-credit program.
- Classes are open to anyone 16 or older.
- Fees for classes range from $37 to $158 per term.
- Classes focus on improving basic skills:
- These classes help you prepare for the GED® test.
- You may need to buy books.
- If you are 16 or 17, you have to get an official release from your high school. Submit it to the college’s admission office before registering for classes.
Steps to enroll
1. Apply to PCC
Complete the admissions form.
- You’ll have to set up an admissions account with your personal email and a password.
- Choose the term you want to start at PCC under When do you want to start classes?
- Choose “ABE (Adult Basic Education)/GED® ” under What subject are you primarily interested in studying?
2. Consider your options for study
- All classes are taking place remotely. You can still connect with the campus location that is closest to you through your ABE Navigator.
- Want to study online? Learn more about online GED® classes. (You can talk about the difference between online and remote classes with your ABE Navigator.)
- Want to take the GED® test in Spanish? We offer Spanish GED® classes through Southeast Campus and Willow Creek Center. The steps to enroll are different than the steps listed here, so make sure to review the Spanish GED® page.
3. Attend a virtual GED® Student Orientation and Registration session
Our Orientation and Registration sessions last 2 hours. Plan on attending the full session. At the session you will:
- Meet the ABE Navigator who will help you get started and register for your first class(es).
- Learn more about GED® tests.
- Get tips on how to manage yourself and your technology while learning remotely.
- Have a chance to ask questions about ABE classes and GED® testing.
- Plan on attending the full 2-hour virtual Orientation session.
Select your session
GED® Orientation sessions for Fall 2021
Planning to take GED classes this fall? Select your session by filling out the Registration for Group Orientation.
All sessions take place remotely through Zoom. You can access Zoom on your phone, tablet, or computer. Before your session, you’ll receive an email from your ABE Navigator with a Zoom link to join the session. Space is limited for each session.
4. Paying for your classes
Be ready to pay for your classes at the time of registration. Depending on your class schedule, class fees range from $37 to $158 per term.
- If you receive Food Stamps, the Oregon Health Plan, or have lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you may qualify for a Class Fee Waiver.
- We’ll discuss Class Fee Waivers at the Orientation session.
- If you are between ages 16 and 20, you may qualify for the Yes to College program.
Get virtual assistance
You can connect with virtual assistance by email, phone or Zoom.
Learn more about the GED® Certificate
A GED® Certificate may be earned by those who have not completed high school and who are at least 16 years old. The GED® Certificate is accepted as a substitute for a high school diploma by many employers, apprenticeship programs, community colleges and universities. It is used all over the United States and Canada, although passing scores may vary from state to state.
GED® is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education and may not be used without permission. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license.