Prepare for the GED® test with Adult Basic Education classes.
GED® is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education and may not be used without permission. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license.
Program description and eligibility
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) is a non-credit program.
- Classes are open to anyone 16 or older.
- Fees for classes range from $38 to $138 per term.
- Classes focus on improving basic skills:
- These classes help you be prepared for the GED® test.
- Classes are available at all PCC campuses.
- Daytime and evening classes available.
- Some classes are available online.
- You may need to purchase books.
- If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must obtain an official release from your high school and submit it to the college’s admission office before registering for classes.
Steps to enroll
1. Apply to PCC
Complete the admissions form at least one week before your orientation and placement. Mark “credit” on the application.
2. Decide where you want to study
- Want to study online? You don’t have to complete orientation and placement in person (but can if you would prefer). Learn more about online GED® classes.
- Want to take the GED® test in Spanish? We offer Spanish GED® classes at Southeast Campus and Willow Creek Center. The steps to enroll are different than the steps listed here, so make sure to review the Spanish GED® page.
3. Attend orientation and placement
Attend orientation and placement at the location where you plan to attend classes. No appointment is needed. Come to your orientation session at least half an hour before the scheduled time. Plan to stay for the entire 3-hour period. Bring your picture ID and your PCC student ID number.
- Thursday, May 30, 6-9pm, Cascade Hall 309
- Wednesday, June 5, 12-3pm, Cascade Hall 309
- Tuesday, June 11, 9am-12pm, Cascade Hall 309
- Tuesday, June 18, 9am-12pm, Cascade Hall 309
- Thursday, June 20, 6-9pm, Cascade Hall 309
No summer classes. For more information call at 503-359-2432, extension 3681.
- Tuesday, June 4, 10am-1:30pm, Building 2, Room 256
- Wednesday, June 5, 5-8:30pm, Building 2, Room 256
- Tuesday, June 18, 5-8:30pm, Building 2, Room 256
- Wednesday, June 19, 10am-1:30pm, Building 2, Room 256
- Wednesday, June 19, 9am-1pm, Student Commons 118
- Thursday, June 20, 1-4pm, Student Commons 118
- Thursday, June 20, 6-9pm, Student Commons 118
- Thursday, June 6, 9am-12:30pm, CC 212
- Tuesday, June 11, 6-9:30pm, CC 212
- Tuesday, June 18, 9am-12:30pm, CC 212
- Tuesday, June 25, 9am-12:30pm, CC 212
4. Pay for your classes
Be ready to pay for your classes at the time of registration, usually at the end of your orientation and placement. Depending on your class schedule, class fees range from $34 to $149 per term.
- If you receive Food Stamps or Oregon Health Plan, you may qualify for a class fee waiver.
- If you are between ages 16 and 20, you may qualify for the YES program.
5. Attend your classes!
Learn more about the GED® Certificate
A GED® Certificate, may be earned by those who have not completed high school and who are at least 16 years old. The GED® Certificate is accepted as a substitute for a high school diploma by many employers, apprenticeship programs, community colleges and universities. It is used all over the United States and Canada, although passing scores may vary from state to state.