Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Transferring to a California school

California has private and public schools in the Community College system, the University of California system, the California State University system and the Independent College system. You can learn more at the California college exploration webpage.

Classes you can take at PCC

The IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) is a general education guide for students interested in transferring to a school in the University of California or California State University system.

About the IGETC

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum is a general education program that California Community College transfer students can use to fulfill lower-division general education requirements at a California State University or University of California campus. IGETC can be a good option if you know you want to transfer, but don’t know if you will go to a UC or a CSU, or if you don’t know which major you will pursue. Completion of IGETC is not an admission requirement nor does completion of IGETC guarantee admission to the campus or program of choice.

The IGETC requires completion of a minimum of 34 semester units of lower division work with a C grade or better in each course. A grade of “Pass” may be used if the community college’s grading policy states that “Pass” is equivalent to a grade of “C” or better. If you complete IGETC requirements and your courses are certified, you will be required to complete at least 9 semester units of upper-division general education work after transfer to a CSU campus.

The course requirements for all areas of IGETC must be completed and certified by a California community college to be accepted by CSU or UC. (There are some circumstances that permit completion of IGETC after transfer. You should talk to your community college counselor and a university admissions officer for details.) If you are interested in a major that requires extensive lower-division preparation, IGETC may not the best choice for you.

PCC students can transfer some of the courses below to a California community college. You would need to take additional courses at a California community college to establish residency and to complete the IGETC certification.

Area 1 – English Communication
IGETC requirement PCC comparison courses
2 courses: 1 course in English composition and 1 course in critical thinking/English composition WR 121 & WR 122
For California State colleges only: 1 course in Oral Communication COMM 111 or 214
Area 2 – Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning
IGETC requirement PCC comparison courses
1 course in Math MTH 105, 111, 241, 243, 244, 251, 252, 253, 254, 256, 261
Area 3 – Arts and Humanities; 3 courses total
IGETC requirement PCC comparison courses
1-2 courses in Arts ART 102, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 211, 212, 213, 216, D 251, MUS 105, 201, 202, 203, 205, 206, 207, 209, 210, 236
1-2 courses in Humanities ENG 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 201, 202, 204, 205, 207, 208, 209, 213, 222, 240, 244, 250, 253, 254, 257, 258, 260, 261, 275, HST 270, PHL 201, 202, 204, 210, 222, R 210, any 2nd year foreign language
Area 4 – Social and Behavioral Sciences
IGETC requirement PCC comparison courses
3 courses from at least 2 different disciplines ATH 101, 102, 103, 207, 208, 209, COMM 237, EC 200, 201, 202, GEO 106, 107, 204, HST 201, 202, PS 201, 202, 204, PSY 201A, 202A, 215, 222, 231, 232, 239, SOC 204, 205, 206, 213
Area 5 – Physical and Biological Sciences; 2 courses, 1 must have a lab component
IGETC requirement PCC comparison courses
1 course in Physical Sciences Any Chemistry, ESR 172, 173, G 201, 202, 203, GEO 110, GS 106, 107, 108, 109, or any Physics
1 course in Biological Sciences ATH 101, any Biology, or ESR 171
Area 6 – Language other than English; required for University of California (UC) system only
IGETC requirement PCC comparison courses
This can be met by 2 years of H.S. foreign language, AP exam, IB exam, Instruction in a language other than English 2 terms of a foreign language. This includes American Sign Language

Heads up! We do our best to keep this site current, but transfer requirements tend to change without warning. Always check with an advisor at your transfer school before making your final decision about classes.