Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Get credit for prior learning

PCC faculty

Looking for process information? Log in to see CPL info for faculty and staff.

Did you know admitted students can get college credit for learning that has taken place outside of a classroom? See below for types of prior learning that can count toward your PCC degree.

To transfer credits from another 4-year school, follow the steps to transfer credits to PCC.

Industry certification

Certificate programs affiliated with professional associations, trade organizations, or private vendors may be considered for credit at PCC. PCC may award credit based on licensure or certification by approval from appropriate departments. However, PCC cannot guarantee that credit will be awarded for all certificate programs.

  • CDA
  • CPR
  • Journeyman
  • Professional licensure
How to request credit for certification
  1. Submit documents

    Submit your transcripts, certificates, or licenses: submit training documentation. Student Records will work with the appropriate faculty to determine if credit can be transferred.

  2. Check your PCC email

    We may need additional info from you – check your email for requests and updates.

  3. Transcript updated

    You’ll get an email when the evaluation is done and your transcript has been updated.

Military, CLEP, etc.

The American Council on Education (ACE) reviews and recommends credit for college-level credit based on workforce training, military training or occupations, and other sources of learning outside the college classroom, such as national exams and certifications. PCC may award credit based on these ACE recommendations as well as approval from appropriate departments. However, PCC cannot guarantee that credit will be awarded for all ACE recommendations.

  • Corporate courses or exams
  • Military Occupations (Joint Service Transcript, also called JST)
  • Military courses (JST)
  • CLEP / DSST / other ACE-recommended credit
How to request credit for ACE
  1. Submit documents

    Send your ACE transcript, JST, or CLEP scores to:

    PCC Student Records
    PO Box 19000
    Portland, OR 97280-0990

    Have electronic JST transcripts sent directly to records@pcc.edu.

  2. Request evaluation

    Once we get your transcripts, request a transfer credit evaluation in MyPCC.

  3. Watch your email

    You’ll get an email when the evaluation is done and your transcript has been updated.

How we evaluate ACE-recommended credit

PCC grants credit equivalencies based on ACE recommendations based on the following guidelines:

  • Only subject areas taught by PCC will be considered.
  • For credit in professional/technical programs, the department chair determines equivalencies.

Military students who do not have a JST transcript may be granted three credit hours of Physical Education for military training. Send a copy of your DD 214 to Student Records.

Course challenge

If you have experience that aligns with a course at PCC, you may be eligible for an assessment for college credit. Assessment methods vary, and may take the form of a portfolio, an exam, or a demonstration of knowledge and skills. If you have questions not addressed on this page, contact Academic Affairs.

How to challenge a course
  1. Submit an inquiry

    Complete the course challenge inquiry.

  2. Forms and fees

    We’ll let you know if a course can be challenged and send you a form to complete.  Return the form and pay the associated fee. Courses can only be challenged once, and the fee is non-refundable.

    • $100 for a course worth 1-4 credits
    • $150 for a course worth more than 4 credits
  3. Demonstrate knowledge

    Once you’ve returned the form and paid the fee, a faculty member will contact you about your exam, performance, or portfolio review.

  4. Transcript updated

    When the faculty member has approved your review, we will update your transcript to reflect credit for prior learning.

Policy information


Contact records@pcc.edu.