At Portland Community College- we’re all in this together to promote sustainability.
FMS plays a leading role in PCC sustainability – from operations and administration, to education and encouraging sustainable behavior change.
FMS focuses its sustainability efforts around the college’s Climate Action Plan, PCC Strategic Plan, and the FMS Strategic Plan- which has a goal to infuse sustainability throughout all FMS practices by 2017. The Sustainability Manager is housed within the FMS department, and the FMS Director is co-chair of the college’s Sustainability Leadership Council- which is tasked with implementing the college’s Climate Action Plan.
FMS shows its commitment to sustainability through the following practices:
- Participating in the Green Office Program
- Implementing green cleaning practices that cut back on cleaning chemicals
- Managing waste diversion efforts to reduce waste sent to landfill
- Ensuring best maintenance practices to reduce resource consumption
- Practicing strict Integrated Pest Management procedures that reduce chemical inputs by 70%
- Integrating sustainable purchasing criteria into products and services purchased within FMS
- Co-sponsoring the Strategic Energy Management initiative in collaboration with the Energy Trust of Oregon
- Reducing energy consumption through energy infrastructure upgrades and retrofits
- Advancing sustainability standards in projects and remodels
- Supporting hands-on learning opportunities in sustainability for students
- Promoting LEED sustainability training for employees (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design)