Coursework in health studies provides individuals with information and skills that will facilitate development of optimal health and well-being at the individual, social and community level. Health is not merely the absence of disease but a state of complete physical, mental, social, intellectual and spiritual well-being. Students of Health Studies explore the well-being of the individual and the community from a multi-dimensional perspective.
Health Studies courses are offered at each of PCC's three comprehensive campuses, the Southeast Campus and online. Classes range from general health overview courses such as personal health, community health and fitness to specialty courses such as first aid, stress, and children's, men's and women's health.
Check with an academic advisor regarding what classes fulfill your degree requirements specifically.
Although PCC does not offer a degree in Health Studies, Health Studies courses are lower division collegiate courses that transfer to a four-year college or university. Health Studies courses may transfer as:
- elective credits
- program requirement credits
- and/or graduation requirements for the receiving institution
Students are always encouraged to check with the receiving institution, your PCC academic advisor and the University Transfer website for the most accurate and timely transfer requirement information.
Health Studies Focus Award
Students can earn a Health Studies Focus Award which prepares them to pursue health studies and related programs at the bachelor level. In Oregon, health studies and related programs can be found at Portland State University, OHSU, Oregon State University, other schools in the Oregon University System and private colleges. Please refer to those schools' websites or talk with your academic advisor for more details about transferring in this subject area.
The Health Studies Focus Award provides students with:
- An introductory body of knowledge in Health Studies to prepare them for further academic study and transfer to a four-year institution or exploration of careers in the health care industry.
- Opportunities to build their understanding of the complex factors, forces, and institutions that influence individual, community, environmental and global health.
- Academic guidance and support through faculty-student mentoring.
- Opportunities to network with local four-year universities and colleges.
The required and elective courses for the Health Studies Focus Award are available on each campus and Southeast Campus in addition to many of them being available online as distance courses.
Note: This focus award is not a formal, transcripted degree or certificate, but is a recognition of courses taken to supplement the skills you already have. Focus awards may be earned in combination with a certificate and/or degree.