Why choose Physical Education at PCC?
Are you interested in physical education as a career? Check out PCC’s Exercise Science program, which offers both degree and certificate options.
Portland Community College Physical Education (PE) promotes fit and healthy lifestyles for a diverse group of students by delivering a quality education that includes the knowledge, skills, and practice necessary for living a physically active and healthy life.
Degrees and certificates
|Award||Length||Financial aid eligible||Currently accepting students?|
|University transfer||2 years at PCC + 2 years at university|
What will you learn?
Course offerings vary from campus to campus, as do facilities and program availability. Most classes meet either two or three times a week for 1 credit. There are no auditions or placement classes required to study dance or other physical education activities.
More than 100 courses are offered each term in a variety of areas:
- Adapted physical education
- Cardio conditioning
- Dance – has some performance opportunities
- General fitness
- Interval training
- Martial arts
- Mind-body wellness
- Racquet sports
- Running and walking
- Skiing and snowboarding
- Team sports
- Weight training
- Yoga and meditation
PCC campuses have excellent PE facilities for use by students and staff. Learn more about what each campus offers and its current hours:
PCC’s goals for students who take Physical Education classes
Our goal of dedicated and professional instructors and staff is to provide students the physical education instruction that:
- Allows students to develop knowledge, skills, and positive attitudes regarding the value and benefits of physical fitness.
- Promote activities for physical skill improvement, conditioning, lifetime fitness, and social development to the greater PCC community.
- Offer instruction in courses that allow future employment opportunities (e.g. LG-Lifeguard, WSI-Water Safety Instructor).
- Provide specific courses for lower division block transfer (e.g. AAOT foundational requirement in Health/Wellness/Fitness & a degree requirement of the AS).
- Offer several levels of courses where skill and learning progress beyond one term of instruction (e.g. beginning, intermediate, and advanced).
- Continually assess and update the physical education curriculum to ensure the courses are grounded in the current principles of physical education, fitness, and exercise science.
Opportunities are available for people who have disabilities or who need special accommodations to participate in physical education courses. We offer several sections of corrective physical education classes that you can take for credit.
What will you do?
Physical education classes at PCC provide an opportunity to enhance your quality of life as a result of physical activity, self-expression, and group interaction. Learn to appreciate the cultural, historical, and artistic value of various activities in society, and work to create connections between yourself and the larger community.
Applying to PCC is free and only takes a few minutes.Apply now