Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College


F-1 International Student Employment

  • On-Campus Employment
    This page covers who is eligible for on-campus employment, what the limitations are, and what the procedure is to become employed.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
    Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows you to gain practical work experience in your field of study. As an F-1 student, you may be eligible for up to 12 months of OPT. You may use it either before or after completion of your studies. The employment has to be directly related to your field of study. To receive OPT you must apply through USCIS to receive an employment authorization document (EAD card). This can be a time consuming procedure, so you will need to plan ahead.
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
    CPT allows you to gain practical work experience in your field of study prior to completion of your degree program. If you are authorized for CPT, you will be eligible to work in a specific internship or job for a specific period of time. The internship or job has to be an integral part of your program curriculum and available to all qualifying students in your field of study (for example, internships or cooperative education programs). CPT is authorized by the Office of International Education (OIE). There is no need to apply through the USCIS.
  • F-1 Severe Economic Hardship Work Permit
    F-1 Severe Economic Need work permission is a type of employment authorization for F-1 students who have suffered severe economic hardship due to unforeseen and unexpected economic problems.

Required Documentation for all Employment in the U.S.

  • Social Security Number
    How to apply for a Social Security number and card.
  • Taxes
    All international students who are nonresidents for U.S. tax purposes and who were in the U.S. anytime must file annual tax returns with the U.S. government. This filing requirement applies even to nonresident students who received no income from U.S. sources.

For Employers

Please visit Hiring an International Student.

This page is maintained by the OISS SEVIS Coordinator.