Applying for a Social Security Number
To apply for a Social Security number and card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available for download, or you can obtain Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social Security office. These services are free. The Social Security website has detailed information about obtaining a Social Security number.
F-1 students must present the following in order to apply for a Social Security Card:
- Completed Application Form SS-5 & instructions
- Form I-94
- Unexpired Passport
- Valid PCC I-20
- Work Eligibility Letter (Social Security Verification Letter Form) completed by the student, PCC employer, and OISS SEVIS Coordinator
- Birth Certificate (if you have it or can get it within 10 days. If not, they will consider other documents such as your passport or a document issued by DHS as evidence of your age)
Local Social Security Offices
- 1538 SW Yamhill Street (Corner of 16th and Yamhill) 1-800-772-1213
- 11975 SW 2nd Street (Corner of SW 2nd and Lombard) 1-800-772-1213
Other locations, maps and office hours are listed at http://www.ssa.gov/locator/
Social Security Information Handout
This page is maintained by the OISS Senior Office Assistant.