Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Applying for a Social Security Number

To apply for a Social Security number and card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available for download, or you can obtain Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social Security office. These services are free. The Social Security website has detailed information about obtaining a Social Security number.

F-1 students must present the following in order to apply for a Social Security Card:

  • Completed Application Form SS-5 and instructions
  • Form I-94
  • Unexpired Passport
  • Valid PCC I-20
  • Work Eligibility Letter (Social Security Verification Letter Form) completed by the student, PCC employer, and OISS SEVIS Coordinator
  • Birth Certificate (if you have it or can get it within 10 days. If not, they will consider other documents such as your passport or a document issued by DHS as evidence of your age)

Local Social Security Offices

  • 1538 SW Yamhill Street (Corner of 16th and Yamhill) 1-800-772-1213
  • 11975 SW 2nd Street (Corner of SW 2nd and Lombard) 1-800-772-1213

Other locations, maps and office hours are listed at ssa.gov/locator.

Social Security Information Handout

This page is maintained by the OISS Senior Office Assistant.