Why Study Spanish?
If you speak Spanish, you can communicate with nearly 500 million people in the world who speak Spanish! Just think of the opportunities!
Who Speaks Spanish?
- Spanish is the official language of 21 countries, and is also widely spoken in many more countries where it is not an official language
- Over 12% of the US population already speaks Spanish
- 29 million US residents above the age of 5 speak Spanish at home. That’s approximately 1 of every 10 residents!
- Spanish speakers are the largest growing language group in the US
The Spanish-speaking world has made tremendous contributions to the world’s art and literature, such as the world’s second-most translated book, Cervantes’ Don Quixote, available in 60 languages! To list just a few…..
- Salsa, Merengue, Flamenco, Tango, Rumba, Pasodoble, Sevillanas…
- Julio and Enrique Iglesias, Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan, Shakira, Juanes…
- Antonio Banderas, Penélope Cruz, Salma Hayek, Andy García, Martin Sheen, Javier Bardem…
- Picasso, Velázquez, Dalí, Botero…
- Miguel de Cervantes, Gabriel García Márquez, Mario Vargas Llosa, Isabel Allende, Carlos Ruiz Zafón…
- Gaudí, Aníbal González, César Manrique, Santiago Calatrava…
- Almodóvar, Amenábar, Trueba, Saura, Guillermo del Toro…
- Sergio García, Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, Pau Gasol, Miguel Indurain, Sammy Sosa, Roberto Clemente…
Why study Spanish at PCC?
The Spanish program at PCC boasts the second largest enrollment in the state for first and second year courses only after University of Oregon, and for a lower price. All PCC Spanish courses are taught using an immersion method. The objective of all Spanish courses at PCC is to help students develop communicative competence and proficiency in comprehension, speaking, reading, writing Spanish and cultural awareness.
The skills acquired through learning Spanish language and culture will help acquire higher thinking skills especially through comparative studies of language and culture between those of North America and Spanish speaking countries.
Spanish classes at PCC feature:
- Language immersion with emphasis on speaking skills.
- Supportive and fun classroom environment.
- All instructors have Masters Degrees, native/near-native fluency and years of professional teaching experience
- Most instructors have lived and/or traveled extensively in Spanish-speaking countries.
- Full integration of speaking, grammar, writing, listening and culture at every level.
- Pair and small group activities during class every day.
- Free Spanish tutors
- Classrooms with computer podium, large screen and stereo system for viewing videos, as well as a new language computer lab for student and class use.
- Course web pages and also online activities for extra practice at the free publisher website.
- Comprehensive language computer labs on all three main campuses
- Complete the steps for new students
- The admissions form will ask you what you plan to study. Since we don't offer a degree or certificate in this subject, you should choose Associate of Arts - Oregon Transfer (AAOT) for now.
- If you aren't sure which level of Spanish class to take, see the Spanish Placement page.
- Plan how you'll pay for college
- Plan your transfer