Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Lost Documents

What do I do when I have lost an important document?

travel.state.gov: Lost and Stolen Passports, Visas, and Arrival/Departure Records

Passport, Visa, and I-94

Passports, Visas, and Arrival/Departure Records (admission stamp or paper Form I-94) are official travel documents that foreign citizens coming to the United States (U.S.) must have in their possession to show their country of citizenship and legal status in the United States. Students should make a copy of their passport biographic page and U.S. visa, as soon as possible after their arrival in the United States. If you traveled to the United States by air or sea, your I-94 will be automated. You may always print a new copy of it.

If you lose your passport or visa, or if they are stolen, we recommend:

Report Your Lost or Stolen Items to the OISS

You may visit, call, or email our office. We recommend you report it to the SEVIS Team right away.

Filing a Police Report

Contact your local police station. Often, you can report lost or stolen items through an online report. If available, you will need to provide copies of the original documents. You will be issued a police report detailing the incident. Don’t forget to make an extra copy of the report for your own records.

Report Lost or Stolen Documents to Your Embassy

Often, students may be able to replace their foreign passport while remaining within the United States. Contact the local embassy or consular section for the country of your citizenship for information about the procedure to replace a lost or stolen passport.

Report your Visa Lost or Stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Abroad

Unfortunately, students cannot replace a visa from within the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.

To report your visa lost or stolen, email the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the United States which issued your visa. Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website to locate the email address and contact information. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, address in the United States, and an e-mail address (if available). Specifically state whether the visa was lost or stolen. If you have a copy of the passport or visa, scan and email this to the embassy or consulate. Otherwise, if known, report the category of visa, and the passport number from the lost/stolen visa.

If you have already reported your visa lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and then you later find your misplaced visa, then your visa will be invalid for future travel to the United States.  Therefore, in that situation you must apply for a new visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Adapted from travel.state.gov

Your PCC I-20

In most cases, the Office of International Student Services (OISS) will be able to easily reprint your I-20. To request this, please contact the SEVIS Team or visit the nearest OISS location. If you recently been granted a Travel Signature and will need a new one, please request that this be added to your new I-20.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

If you are a student on Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Severe Economic Hardship, you will have been granted an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). If you lose this, it is important to have it replaced as soon as possible. To do so, you will need to make a request to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USCIS). Be sure to involve the SEVIS Team in the process of requesting a replacement of your EAD. They can assist you in applying and requesting a fee waiver.

Social Security Card (SSC)

If you have been granted a Social Security Card and it becomes lost or is stolen, you will want to begin the process of replacing your card. Unfortunately, if you are not a US citizen, this cannot be done online. Please use the Social Security Administration’s office locator for a location near year and the listing of their main number.

Driver’s License or Oregon ID

If you have lost an Oregon ID or Driver’s License, this is quite easy to replace. There is a fee to replace a license or ID. You are not required to report a lost or stolen ID to the police. However, if it was stolen, it is a good idea to submit a police report.