LGBTQ+ Students Abroad
We are committed to ensuring that all students have safe and accessible options for studying abroad. Although many LGBTQ+ people safely travel internationally each year, it is true that norms regarding gender identity and sexual vary widely throughout the world. It is important, therefore, that we help you research the cultural climate, laws, and resources of different countries while choosing an education abroad program. PCC’s Queer Resource Center is a great resource in addition to those listed below with information specifically on considerations for studying abroad.
Student Story: Watch Tendai Mukau’s Study Abroad Story
- CIEE’s Guide to Sexual and Gender Expression Abroad
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans & Intersex Association has information on legislation in different countries that affects the LGBTQI community.
- ILGA’s Sexual Orientation Laws World Map
- Go Abroad’s LGBT Student Guide to Studying Abroad
- “8 Questions LGBT Travelers Should Ask Before Traveling Abroad”
- GlobalGayz – A gay-owned charitable travel and culture website
- OutRight Action International (formerly known as the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission)
- Out Traveler
- Spartacus International Gay Travel Index, a resource that ranks countries based on how LGBTQ-friendly they are
- Information regarding travel on the National Center for Transgender Equality
- NAFSA Rainbow Special Interest Group information for US Students Abroad
- US Department of State information for LGBTI Travelers
- Tufts University’s “The LGBT Guide to Study Abroad”