Joseph Britton – 3 courses using Mindfulness for Wholesome Living

PCC Community Ed | Start the discussion

Joseph britton headshot 

What class are you teaching?
3 courses using Mindfulness for Wholesome Living 1. “Disruptors in Science, Politics, Climate, Self-Identity and Religion” 2. “Real Talk about Living and Dying” 3. “Enjoying Giving Speeches”

How long have you been teaching at PCC?
2 years

What do you like about working at PCC?
There is nothing more exciting than being in a learning environment. Students come with an open, fresh mind. We learn from each other and explore new territory. It`s the best!

What day/time can people take your class? What is its CRN/CEU?

1. “Disruptors, Encounters and Mindfulness” is Wednesday eves from 6:30 pm to 8:20 pm, Feb 12 – 26, 2020 (Winter term CRN47804);
  2. “Real Talk about Living and Dying” Wednesday eves Jan 15 – Feb 5, 2020 from 6:30 pm to 8:20 pm (Winter term CRN 45947);
  3. “Enjoy Giving Speeches and Mindfulness” Saturdays 9:30 am to 12:20 pm Jan 25 and Feb 1, 2020 (Winter term CRN 47803)

How did you become interested in the subject matter?
I have studied the far reaches of human consciousness since I was a child. I have forever been fascinated by the meaning and essence of consciousness and attempted to understand it through my engineering work, body movement therapy training , and communications background. I enjoy sharing this knowledge and bring it into my classroom.

What is it about the subject that compels you to remain interested?
My focus is on Mindfulness so that we can live a full life consciously, clearly and with joy. Is there anything more exciting or fulfilling than being awake to the surprises, the mysteries and the meanings of life?

Share an interesting thing that you have learned from your students.
As my classes often get a bit philosophical, when my students show me a new and fresh perspective I deeply love it. For example, talking about time or death or the source of fear can be fairly far-reaching, but new ideas and laughter always lighten up and bring the class environment back to reality.

How will your students be impacted by this class?
Within each of these 3 courses we look at the many ways to challenge the anxieties of modern society through understanding and overcoming our fears along with personally being in a more alive, awakened state; a place where many opportunities arise.

How do you intend to keep exploring this subject matter?
These topics I focus on every day of my life including sharing thoughts with others who teach in these compelling areas of society

What are you doing to stay current in your field?
I do End-of-Life volunteer work and explore these mysteries of life and death with my patients along with researching trends in health care. My Speech clients are from all walks of life – from corporate CEO`s to individuals transitioning out of prisons into society; I love the blend of people as everyone has their own truth to share. For my Disruptor`s class I meet with Futurist`s on a regular basis along with staying current on science and political break-throughs. I often give seminars on these topics open to the public e.g. at IONS (Institute of Noetic Sciences based in San Francisco, CA), along with IANDS (International Association of Near Death Studies).

Learn more about Britton’s upcoming courses under the “Personal Development” heading.

Start the discussion

PCC offers this limited open forum as an extension of the respectful, well-reasoned discourse we expect in our classroom discussions. As such, we welcome all viewpoints, but monitor comments to be sure they stick to the topic and contribute to the conversation. We will remove them if they contain or link to abusive material, personal attacks, profanity, off-topic items, or spam. This is the same behavior we require in our hallways and classrooms. Our online spaces are no different.