Access Control

“Access Control” refers to electronic locks that are controlled via computer software. It is being implemented at each of the campuses throughout the district to enhance security in our buildings. By utilizing electronic locks, Public Safety will be able to better manage the security of our buildings, monitor who has access, and define when an individual has access. We will be able to remotely secure any door on access control in the event of an emergency situation.

What is the Access Control project about?

Previous PCC Bond Program projects had added Access Control electronic doors to some buildings throughout the District. The current Bond Program completed a pilot project in 2014 to enhance perimeter door security for buildings at the Cascade campus. These enhancements are being expanded to other PCC locations, beginning early 2016 and expected to complete summer 2017. Buildings at Rock Creek, Southeast, and Portland Metro locations have been largely completed, with work continuing at the Sylvania campus.

How are buildings and doors selected?

Public Safety, with the assistance of various contractors, evaluates the buildings and the exterior doors to determine the best selection and placement to define a secure perimeter. Not all buildings or exterior doors qualify for electronic access control. Interior doors, with certain narrow exceptions, are not part of the current Access Control project. Not all exterior doors are part of the perimeter defined.

Why are all exterior (external) doors not Access Control Perimeter doors?

Exterior doors are doors that are on the exterior walls of the building. Not all of these doors allow access into the building’s interior. Many are to closets or rooms that are isolated and have no other access to other interior spaces.

A perimeter door however is a door that allows access to rooms with other exterior door or allows access to main hallways and other interior spaces. In certain rare situations, a Perimeter door could be an internal door that provides access to a secure space for students and faculty.

For example, an exterior door that doesn’t allow entry anywhere but that classroom (and/or storage space), would be an exterior door. However, a door that allows entry into a classroom that also has an interior door with entry to more classrooms, building, etc., would be a Perimeter door.

For security reasons Public Safety does not publish details about security criteria or Access Control installation information.

Why are we doing this?

Defining and enhancing perimeter doors with electronic access control allows PCC to better secure the building, limiting an active threat’s access to the interior.

When will this happen?

Enhancements for each building in the project will be done over a period of months

Building and timeframe
Building Timeframe
TCB November 2016
CSB November 2016
SS December 2016
ST December 2016
AM Winter 2016/2017
PAC Winter 2016/2017
Bookstore Winter 2016/2017
CT Spring 2017
CC Spring 2017

Rock Creek, Cascade, Southeast, Portland Metropolitan Workforce Center, CLIMB, Willow Creek, Newberg Center, Downtown Center, and Hillsboro Education Center are largely complete, with finalization expected spring 2017.

How does it affect me?

During construction, crews may be working on doors and temporarily blocking access. If you need by, just ask. Contractors will be happy to step aside and allow you entry as long as it is safe to pass through.

What will happen with regular hard key access?

Hard key access will be restricted on doors with access control/card readers on them. This will allow PCC to better control and maintain its buildings and security. This means that you will need to use your access control card in order to access these spaces. Facilities will rekey these doors over time following the completion of the Access Control installations.

How Do I Request Access?

All Access Control requests can now be made with the ReADY system.  For more information about our new ReADY system, please go to Facilities Management Services.

How Do I Report a Lost or Stolen Card?

If your card has been lost, stolen or damaged you should report it to public safety immediately. You can do this by calling Public Safety dispatch at 971-722-4902.

To have your card replaced, please fill out the form through the ReADY system. For more information about logging into and using the new ReADY system, please go to Facilities Management Services.  There is a $10 replacement fee for lost or stolen cards. You can pay the fee online.  Please use Firefox or Chrome as IE will not work.

If there are additional questions about the fee assessed for replacement cards please visit: the ID cards page.

Alarm Code Requests

If you need an alarm code, please request it via email from Christine Dibble, The request must be approved by the director of public safety and then will be sent to the alarm technician for entry. Requests sent directly to the alarm technician will not be honored.

How Do I Report a Problem with a door not working?

If you need to report a door that is not functioning properly please fill out the “Reader and Door Repair” form through the ReADY system. Please include a specific location and describe what the problem is. For more information about logging into and using the new ReADY system, please go to Facilities Management Services.

What do I do if my card stops working?

If your card stops working, please complete a “Access Card and Key Request” form through the ReADY system. For more information about logging into and using the new ReADY system, please go to Facilities Management Services.