Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

News and Updates

Full Time Faculty Annual Work Schedules

Updated FT Faculty Annual Work Schedules are due every year! You can download the newest version of the form HERE. Once completed please submit the form to hris-group@pcc.edu

Notifications and Reminders

Fall Term 2022

Email Sent 9/27/22
It’s going to be a good one, I can feel it.

You can start entering your EPAFs, and running your NWRINAS for fall term now. There are a few things to note before you do…
The pay on the NWRINAS will be split into 7 equal pays this term, instead of 6 due to how the pay periods fall.
The FDC positions will be split into 26 pays, instead of 25 due to how the pay periods fall.
Steps for Part-time Faculty have been updated, so check PWAPLVL for current steps.
Tutor, Counselor & Librarian EPAF’s: Run from 9/18/2022 – 1/7/2023, please make sure to check PWAPLVL for current steps, and refer to the PT Faculty pay schedule for Tutor, Counselor & Librarian rates.

Special Projects: The FY 2023 rate has been updated to $34.44/hr effective 9/18/2022. A BANNER process will be run to update EPAFs submitted at an earlier date to the new rate, so you will not need to do anything to existing SPPRO jobs.

PT Faculty Participation EPAF (PRTCAJ): The Part-time faculty participation stipend applies to Part-time Faculty attendance at SAC In-Service, TLC Events and Conferences, Training, Workshops, Summits, and other meetings where compensation is offered. Please refer to the PT Faculty pay schedule for participation rates.

Department Chair: The FY 2023 rate has been updated to $36.04/hr. The dates run from 9/4/2022 – 9/2/2023, and the hours will be split equally into 26 pay periods.

NWRINAS: NWRINAS are due no later than 5pm on Friday, 9/30/2022; however, the sooner you can get them to us the better. Due to the Payroll cycle, there will be 7 pays this fall, instead of the normal 6 pay periods.

Casual: You can enter EPAFs throughout the fiscal year. The jobs for FY 22/23 can only run between 6/26/2022 – 6/24/2023

Student: You can enter EPAFs for fall term using 9/26/2022 (first day of summer term) as your start date (query date). Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to be qualified for student help. You can check SFAREGQ to check enrollment. Minimum wage is $14.75.

2022/2023 Bi-weekly Payroll Calendar
2022/2023 Part-time Faculty Pay Schedule
HRIS Website

Please let us know if you have any questions, and have a great fall term!!

FY 2022-2023 EPAFS

Email Sent 6/13/22
EPAFs have been updated for FY 2022/2023 entry. You can start entering them now.

The dates for Casual and SPPRO EPAFs will run from 6/26/2022 – 6/24/2023. Please remember to use 6/26 or later for your query date. You can also end an EPAF early by overriding the 6/24/2023 end dates.

If you have anything that you would normally pay on an EPAF that still needs to be paid between 6/13/2021 – 6/12/2022 you will now need to submit it on a MAP. This does not include Sub/Subsl or PRTCAJ EPAFs, those can still be entered in BW 14 (6/12/2022-6/25/2022)

Students can start 6/27/2022 as long as they are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits. BANNER form SFAREGQ is where you can check how many credits they are registered for.

The dates have also been updated for:

Sub/Subsl/PRTCAJ: 6/12/2022 – 6/25/2022
Counselor/Tutor/Librarian: 6/26/2022 – 9/17/2022

Pay Schedules:

Casual, Student, (minimum wage will change 7/1/2022, anything below the minimum wage will be adjusted by Human Resources), Part-time Faculty (rates/steps will update fall term)

2022/2023 Bi-weekly Payroll Calendar

Please let us know if you have any questions.

FY 2021-2022 EPAFS

Email Sent 6/9/21

The Casual, Student and Special Project (SPPRO) EPAF’s for FY 2022 are ready for entry.

Please make sure and override the query date for Casual and SPPRO EPAF to 6/13/2021, or to the first day the employee will be working in FY 22.

Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to be eligible for student help. You can check SFAREGQ for student enrollment. You will need to override the query date for Student Employees to 6/21/2021 since that is the first day of class; however, if they were enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits over spring term + 6 credits in summer you can use 6/13/2021.

The EPAF will automatically end on 6/11/2022, If you want to end the EPAF earlier than 6/11/2022 you can override both the end date and effective date in the termination section of the EPAF to the last day you want the job to run.

If you still need to enter Casual, Student or SPPRO EPAF’s for FY 21, just make sure to override the end date and effective date to 6/12/2021 (last BW payroll date of FY 21).

NWRINAS are due in HR by 5pm on June 25, 2021. We will be sending out another reminder. It will also be posted here on the HRIS web page under News and Updates.

Please visit the HRIS web page on how to create EPAFs and other fun stuff. https://www.pcc.edu/hr/hris/. Questions? Contact hris-group@pcc.edu

Have a great summer!!!

Melissa & Michelle

Spring 2021 EPAFS

Email Sent 3/22/21

You may start entering your Spring Term EPAF’s for:

Casuals & Students at any time, and SPPRO, Tutors, Counselors and Librarians starting today, March 22, 2021.

The required date ranges are as follows:

Casual and Special Projects (SPPRO): 6/14/2020 – 6/12/2021

Student: 3/21/2021 – 6/12/2021
Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to keep their student help position active.

Tutor, Counselor and Librarian: 3/21/2021 – 6/12/2021.
If you have any that you need to get in prior to 3/21/2021 you will need to send it in on a MAP.

Please remember to override the query date when entering your EPAF’s. It will automatically populate with the day you are entering the EPAF, and needs to be changed to the correct date.

Winter 2021 NWRINAS and PT Faculty Step/Pay Schedule Changes

Good morning!

We are happy to announce you may now begin to submit your Winter 2021 paperwork. Thank you for your patience while we made some adjustments to the Part-time Faculty steps. As you may know the Academic Year 2021 steps changed and how PT Faculty move through the steps also changed. These changes resulted in some faculty seeing a decrease in pay for Fall term. To alleviate this reduction, we have implemented a mitigation strategy allowing impacted faculty to receive the Academic Year 2020 rate for Academic Year 2021, if last year’s rate was greater than this year’s rate. To do this we had to add steps 103 – 111 to the schedule.

When you run your NWRINAS for the rest of this academic year, you will see some faculty on steps 1 – 13 and some on steps 103 – 111, this is correct. Attached you will find the draft step schedule with the all the steps (this will be on the HR website shortly). We are still tracking contact hours and if a faculty member moves to a new step in the AY 2021 schedule that is greater than their AY 2020 rate, we will place them on that step. This evaluation will take place for Fall term 2021. In 2021, there will be a special evaluation period for PT Faculty who are within 100 hours of the next step to see if they have enough contact hours to move them to a new step for Spring term. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to reach out to HRIS-group@pcc.edu.

We have made some enhancements to the NWRINAS AODocs process. In some cases, an Exceptional Pay Memo is required to accompany a NWRINAS (this occurs when a pay rate is not a board approved pay rate; typically utilized by non-credit programs), so we have added a question asking “is there an exceptional pay memo?” If there is no exceptional pay, mark “no,” if yes, then you will be able to route the documents to the appropriate executive for approval.

When using the AODocs PASS system, be sure to add a subject when completing the form. When there is no subject the email can get “lost” in the system and your document may not be processed.

Winter Term 2021 Notice

Good morning,
Due to PT Faculty salary schedule updates occurring Winter Term 2021, departments cannot run their NWRINAS’ until January 4th, 2021 for Winter Term.

Any ‘signed NWRINAS’ received by HRIS that was run prior to January 4th will be returned to the department, with the request that it be rerun after January 3rd (so the pay will calculate correctly) and resigned.’

Because of this salary schedule update in Banner, there may be changed steps for a faculty member in PWAPLVL and the PT Faculty Salary Schedules posted will be updated to accommodate these new changes, effective Winter 2021. Please refer to the updated schedule when looking up salary rate information for PT Faculty. Salary schedules are posted at: https://www.pcc.edu/hr/compensation/

You may start entering your Winter Term EPAF’s for:

Casuals & Students at any time, and SPPRO, Tutors, Counselors and Librarians on December 14, 2020.

The required date ranges are as follows:

  • Casual and Special Projects (SPPRO): 6/14/2020 – 6/12/2021
  • Student: 1/4/2021 – 6/12/2021
    Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to keep their student help position active.
  • Tutor, Counselor and Librarian: 12/27/2020 – 3/20/2021. If you have any that you need to get in prior to 12/27/2020 you will need to send it in on a MAP.

Please remember to override the query date when entering your EPAF’s. It will automatically populate with the day you are entering the EPAF, and needs to be changed to the correct date.

Fall Term 2020 Notice

Happy fall!!! The 20/21 rates are now in BANNER, and the step roll has been completed. You can start entering your EPAFs for Tutor, Counselor, Librarians, Special projects, Casual and Students.

Part-time faculty rates: FY2021 AJ Salary Schedule Appendix C

Tutor, Counselor & Librarians – EPAFs for fall term can be entered now. The dates are 9/20/2020 – 12/26/2020 (use 9/20/2020 as your query date). The step roll has been processed, so please check PWAPLVL for the current step.

Special Projects – The rate has been updated to $32.78 per hour effective 9/20/2020. A BANNER process will be run to update EPAFs submitted at an earlier date to the new rate, so you will not need to do anything to existing SPPRO jobs.

Department Chairs – If you haven’t already, please send MAP’s in for your FDCs. The FY 20/21 rates have been updated to $34.30 per hour. Dates for FDCs run from 9/20/2020 – 9/4/2021, and the hours will be split between 25 pay periods.

NWRINAS – NWRINAS are due in Human Resources by 5pm on 10/2/2020; you can submit them now. The first pay date for fall term part-time faculty is 10/16/2020. NWRINAS can now be submitted for approval and routed to HR electronically! Visit the Submitting NWRINAS via AODoc process guidefor instructions.

Casual – Casual EPAF can be entered now, just remember to change the query date to the day the employee began working in that position number/suffix (date cannot be prior to 6/14/20). Casual positions are set up to automatically end effective 6/12/2021 (last bi-weekly payroll period for FY 20/21).

Student – Student EPAFs can be entered now. The query date will need to be changed to 9/21/2020, since that is the first day students can start working fall term. In order for them to be eligible student help, they must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits, you can check enrollment in the BANNER form SFAREGQ .

Sub/Subsl and DLDEV – We are now entering EPAFs for the bi-weekly 21 Pay period, 9/20/2019 – 10/03/2019.

Part-Time Instructor Participation – Authorizations requesting stipends for part-time instructor participation in an event can now be submitted electronically and routed for approval in a new AJ Participation EPAF! See the EPAF Quick Sheet – PT Instructor /Accessible EPAF Quick Sheet – PT Instructor for detailed instructions.

Please let us know if you have any questions, or if we forgot to address something in this email.

Have a great fall!

Melissa & Michelle

FY 2020/2021 EPAFs

Date: Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 9:38 AM

You can start entering your FY 21 EPAF’s for Casual, Student, SPPRO, Tutors, Counselors and Librarians. The dates are:

Casual and Special Projects(SPPRO): 6/14/2020 – 6/12/2021

Student: 6/21/2020 – 6/12/2021
Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to keep their student help position active.
Tutor, Counselor and Librarian: 6/14/2021 – 9/19/2020

Please remember to override the query date when entering your EPAF’s. It will automatically populate with the day you are entering the EPAF, and needs to be changed to the correct date.

For pay authorization due dates please refer to the 2020/2021 Payroll Calendar: https://intranet.pcc.edu/finance/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/06/20-21BWCalendar.pdf

Casual pay scale: https://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/casual-guidelines/
Student: https://www.pcc.edu/hr/compensation/student-employment/
Tutor, Counselor, Librarian and SPPRO: appendix C & D

We will be sending out another email the closer we get to summer term.

We are no longer accepting FY 2019/2020 EPAFs. If you have anything that needs to be entered in FY 2019/2020 you will need to send them in on a MAP. This includes; COUNS, LIBRA, TUTOR, SPPRO, CE and SE EPAF’s.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Melissa and Michelle

HR Paperwork Contingency – Remote Operations

Information found here

HRIS Coffee Talk!

Criminal Background Checks

Criminal Background checks!

Participation EPAFs

Participation EPAFs

Looking up Suffixs and Jobs

Looking up Suffixs and Jobs

AP Stipend Coffee Talk

AP Stipends Summary

New Training Materials and HRIS Website

New Training Materials / HRIS Website

NWRINAS Coffee Talk!

NWRINAS Coffee Talk – updated!

Reading the Payroll Calendar Summary

Payroll Calendar Summary

One Time Pay Summary

One Time Pay Summary

Calculating Sub Pay summary

Calculating Sub Pay summary

The MAP form

Map form discussion

Spring Term 2021 Paperwork Discussion

Coffee Talk Spring Term Paperwork Q&A Summary

Changing an EPAF summary

Changing an EPAF

EPAF vs MAP Coffee talk summary

EPAF vs Map Summary

Remote I-9’s and Hiring Coffee talk summary

Remote I-9’s and Hiring Coffee talk summary

NWRINAS via AODocs Coffee talk summary

NWRINAS via AODocs summary

HRIS News You Can Use!

Fall 2020 Process and Website Updates! – New

Please read the following important announcements from HR:

  1. FALL paperwork for Part-Time faculty will be opening soon! Look for a follow up email Monday afternoon, September 28th, 2020.
  2. Exciting changes are happening to HR’s business processes and the HR website!

As we continue to work remotely, HR has been making efforts to shift to more virtual-friendly practices for PCC employees submitting HR forms!

The following forms have moved from paper versions to electronic processes:

Cancel or Reduce Part-Time Instructor Pay can be submitted through AODocs:

Participation authorization for Part-Time Instructors


  • HR has worked with IT to create a NWRINAS AODoc where you can attach your NWRINAS reports and route for signature electronically. No more attaching and re-attaching files to an email for approval! See the Submitting NWRINAS via AODocfor detailed instructions.

Other paper HR forms (JAF-Ms, PR/Cs, MAPs, Termination Forms etc.)

  • Thanks to IT, most other HR forms can now be routed electronically for approval and sent off to HR for processing using the PASS option in AODocs! This process will streamline gaining approval for HR documents and routing them with ease to the appropriate HR team. Submitting HR form via AODoc for details and instructions! Note: This method cannot be used for federal forms that require handwritten signatures, such as the Form I-9.

In addition, HR’s website is getting a new, exciting page: the HRIS Page – a hub of information for all your HRIS needs including a list of personnel actions, a training library of process guides with instructions for submitting employee paperwork, news and announcements, a center for forms, PCC’s own I-9 Central page, and much more! Check it out at: pcc.edu/hr/hris!

What I-9 Form version are we using?

Don’t Panic!
The current I-9 form has an expiration date of 10/31/22.

Does that mean I need to redo it for existing employees?!
Nope. You just need to be aware that when you complete an I-9 for a new employee, the I-9 form you’re completing should say that it’s expired on 10/31/22. If it’s an older expiration date, you’re using the wrong version of the form and would need to complete it again with the new, correct form.

Best Practice – make sure you’re pulling the I-9 form from the USCIS Gov site. That way, you should only be completing the most recent form.

Have Questions on how to complete an I-9?
Check out the videos for Section 1 and Section 2 on the learning resources page at USCIS.

I-9 Hit Parade of Common Mistakes

The I-9 is one of those universal forms that all employee types hired at PCC are required to complete. Which means… we see a lot of I-9’s.

That also means we see a lot of I-9 errors (law of averages.) Since this is a federal form, there is pretty much no wiggle room in how it needs to be completed, right down to putting N/A in the fields that are not applicable (yep, it’s in their form directions, I kid you not.)

So to share our experiences (and hopefully lessen your frustration) here’s our current ‘hit parade’ of common (and easy to avoid) mistakes.

Stuff on Page 1

Preparer and/or Translator Certification

  • One box MUST be checked! The appropriate one for your situation, please.

A Blank by any other name…

  • You MUST enter N/A (or na or NA) in any field left BLANK other than Preparer/Translator, unless a Preparer/Translator is used and some fields are left BLANK.

Stuff on Page 2

Employee Info from Page 1
This includes Last Name, First Name, M.I., and Citizenship/Immigration Status.

  • This cannot be blank. BONUS – if you used the autofill PDF form available at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9 for part 1, it will complete this for you!
  • Special Note – Citizenship/Immigration Status box on page 2 needs the NUMBER from page 1, not the description.
    Example: ‘1. A citizen of the United States’ on page 1 means you put a number ‘1’ in the box on page 2. BONUS – if you used the autofill PDF form, it will complete this for you!

Documentation Dance

  • Documents must be one from List A or one from List B + one from List C
  • Do NOT include one from A+B+C. More isn’t better in this instance. It makes us look like we’re requiring MORE than the required documentation which is, in legal-speak, a no-no.

Blank Fields

  • Please put N/A (or na or NA) for ‘not applicable’ in all blank fields. Why? Because they actually require it. BONUS – if you use the autofill PDF form it will insert those N/A’s as appropriate (it really is magical!)

Employee’s First Day of Employment
This is nestled in the form just above the Signature of Employer or Authorized Representative.

  • Do not leave blank! Enter their actual first date of employment.

Signature of Employer or Authorized Representative

  • Please don’t forget this! Also required. It’s where we take responsibility to say ‘hey, we actually saw those documents in A or B+C and they looked real to me!’

But How do I make a Legit Correction?!
Here’s some handy rules to follow:

  • No white out. It’s also a no-no.
  • Draw a line through the error, make your correction, then initial correction.
  • No scribbling out an error. Yup. That’s another no-no.
  • If the correction will make the form completely illegible, you can start over.

Where do I get the latest I-9 form?
Please don’t ‘save’ a copy on your computer or network drive. Since we are required to use the ‘current’ version of the I-9 form, it’s best to always grab your copy from their site at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9

Ok, I SO have questions now…
Please contact hris-group@pcc.edu with your specific question and an HRIS Specialist will get back to you!

The Exceptional Pay Memo (EPM)

Exceptional Pay Memos (EPM’s or the memos formally known as ‘Special Pay Memos’)

If you intend on hiring a PT Faculty for non-instructional work (that is ‘not at contracted rates’ ) or a casual employee outside the casual grade range, you need an exceptional pay memo along with the MAP form.

The hire CANNOT be processed without an exceptional pay memo. The EPM can only be signed by an Executive (there are only 9 of these in the District! The College President, Campus Presidents, and the VP’s.)

The exceptional pay memo should include the specific justification(s) for the higher (or lower) pay rate for that employee. A helpful thing to keep in mind when writing this is ‘If this hire was questioned 3 years from now, and someone unfamiliar with it was reading through the hire paperwork, how would this memo justify this pay rate?’

Example: ‘Twinkie’s 15 years of experience in Feline Nutritional Studies, along with her 42nd Degree Black Belt in Cat Boxing, are critical to her ability to develop new curriculum AND nom-noms in the job of ‘NS Studies Developer, Boxing Expert and Nosh Queen’ for the Department of Feline Nutritional Boxing Studies. Both her years and breadth of experience (see attached resume and cat toys) command a much higher rate of pay outside of PCC and require us to pay her an exceptional pay rate of $142.13 an hour.

Ok… maybe that’s a tinch overkill, but hopefully you get the idea. Include the justification for the additional pay and how it relates to the job they’re being hired for.

Not sure what pay level the job should be? Need help setting the rate based on the employees skill set? The HR Compensation Team would be glad to assist! Please contact HRComp-group@pcc.edu for assistance.

All About Calculated Rates (for SUB EPAFS)

A calculated rate course is a class that has some blending of schedule types that is NOT handled by an existing pay rate. For example, the grade ‘Range’ is a ‘pre-blended’ 25/75 LEC/LAB. If the class was 67% LEC and 33% LAB, it would need to be paid as a calculated rate.

Luckily, when you process hires on a NWRINAS, it does all the calcs for you!

Unluckily, there is no ‘system way’ to produce that number instantly when you’re trying to pay a SUB (substitute) for that class. You have to make some judgement calls about what they’re subbing for and may need to calc the rate manually.

How do I know if the course is a calculated rate?
If there’s more than one schedule type in SCACRSE… it’s a calculated rate!

When do I need to use the calculated rate (for SUB EPAFS)?
This can get a bit tricky, but basically if the substitute is ‘doing the all of the scheduled work for the class’ for that course, yes, pay it using the calculated rate.

Sometimes, the class work is occurring all in the same time period (class is a little bit of this and that, all taught at the same time.) In that instance, you would always use the calculated rate.

Sometimes, the class work schedules are occurring at distinctly different times. In that instance, if they are subbing for only one distinct part one schedule, you pay out just that distinct part/schedule. If they are covering the multiple schedules you pay using the calculated rate.

For example, Twinkie the PT Faculty member, substitutes for MEW 190. It has 2 schedules that meet at different times (E and L.) She only works 1 hour of the lecture part. The lec/lab (Range) portion is held at a later day/time. Her EPAF should be processed using IH LEC to pay her hour at her step. Later in the term, Twinkie fills in for ‘the full class’ – 2 hours LEC, 1 separate hour of LEC/LAB (Range). She should get paid the calculated rate – IH S CALC. Last week of the term, Twinkie just handles the LEC/LAB (Range) portion of the class… so her EPAF is processed using IH RANGE.

Second example, Twink’s buddy HoHos is subbing for MEW 199. MEW 199 ALSO has 2 schedules – LEC and LEC/LAB, but the schedules meet at the same time. HoHos would be paid using the calculated rate.

How do I figure out this calculated rate (for SUB EPAFs)?
If the employee is PT Faculty, go get their correct pay step from the Banner form PWAPLVL. If they are FT Faculty or Academic Professional (NOT AP Stipends), know that you are using the step as per the contract (currently hours step 9, years step 5 for the contract ending in FY 19.)

  • Go to SCACRSE
  • Enter the Subject, the CRSE, and the Term
  • Next Section x4 until you see the Schedule Types
  • For each schedule type, get the hours listed in the ‘more information’ pop up. Write it down.
  • Sum the hours – this is the total hours available for the whole course.
  • Then for each schedule type, take the schedule type pay hours and divide by the total pay hours available. This is the % of pay from that schedule type.
  • Look up the pay rate for EACH schedule type AND the employees step. Take that Rate multiply by % of pay. Then add the types together for the final rate!

Totally cornfusing, right? Let’s look at an example. MEW 190 Term 201901

Twinkie is PT Faculty, currently at Step 5 on PWAPLVL. She’s subbing for a MEW 190 course, in term 201901. I look up her Step Rate for Lec and Lec/Lab on the 2019 Salary Schedule (72.71 and 58.53 respectively.)

The course is 36 pay hours, 12 hrs Lec or 33% and 24 hrs Lec/Lab or 67%.

33% of $72.71 (Lec step 5) = $24.24
67 % of $58.53 (Lec/Lab step 5) = $39.02
Add those 2 together… $63.26 is the final hourly calculated pay rate. This is what you would ‘normally’ use for an EPAF substitution.

But wait! She’s only subbing 1 hour of lecture! Then it’s 1 hour at Step 5 LEC (72.71/hr.) No calculated rate needed. Single EPAF.

But wait again! This bi-weekly, she’s subbing for the same class, but just 2 hours of LEC/LAB, NOT the straight lecture! 2 hours at Step 5 LAB (58.53/hr.) No calculated rate needed. Single EPAF.

Oh no! Last BW of the term, she’s taking on the ‘full class’ for a week – both the LEC and the LEC/LAB parts. For this one, we would use the calculated rate. Step 0 CALC $63.26/hr. Single EPAF.

Oh HEY! HoHos is subbing for MEW 199 – 3 hours. That class doesn’t have separate times listed for the different schedules… so HoHos is paid IH CALC step 0 at the calculated rate!

How to Request Transcript from HR

As a reminder, if you receive Official Transcripts first PLEASE keep a copy for your departmental file! If not, here’s how you can request them.

Who can request them?
Technically, Management only.

Don’t panic! If you are being asked by your manager to request official transcripts, you can email HR but you must include your requesting manager on that email. That manager will then have to respond to the thread with at least an ‘I approve this request’ so we have it on record that they approved it.

But why do I have to go through a manager?
Because those documents are confidential and are housed IN the employees official personnel file. That means… items provided from that file need to be requested by management in writing.

How do I request them?
By email (using your PCC email address only). Requests should be sent to hris-group@pcc.edu. The manager requesting the documents must minimally reply that they approve the request before HR will process it. We typically respond within 2-3 business days.

What should the email request contain?
The email should be sent to HR and the manager making the request (if you are not that manager.) Please make sure that you provide:
Docs Requested by:Managers Name making the request
Docs Requested for: The employee name
Banner ID: The employee’s Banner G number
Reason for Doc Request: Why you are requesting the official transcripts.
For example: We need copies of all official transcripts for the departmental employee file.

How will I receive them from HR?
Documents are scanned and sent by email only. No paper copies are sent.

What if HR doesn’t have all of the official transcripts I’m looking for?
You may wish to contact the employee, to see if they have any official transcripts ‘in process’ to HR before requesting they provide additional ones. Even when we tell folks to send them directly to HR, we still find transcripts getting sent to other departments first. Tracking them down isn’t always easy or quick. Sometimes they just never show up.

If you receive official transcripts that HR does not have, PLEASE keep a copy and send the originals to HR (marked received as original.)

Why send HR a copy? Because we house the official employee file. If there are any questions regarding credentials or accreditation, that’s where those documents are suppose to be located.

Transcripts P2 – Requesting faculty transcripts from the employee

Departments are the ‘front lines’ when it comes to requesting and receiving official transcripts for faculty. Please keep in mind, when requesting transcripts and forwarding officials to us, some specific steps need to be followed.

We’re not trying to be nit-picky (honest!) but we need to show a good faith effort at collecting official transcripts that could not have been altered.

Official Transcripts should only be accepted if:

  • They are received in a sealed envelope from the granting institution or service.
  • They are downloaded / printed from links or attachments of official transcripts from the granting institution or service only.

Official Transcripts should not be accepted if:

  • They are not in a sealed envelope.
  • They are sent as an attachment from the employee (not sent directly from the granting institution/service).
  • They are transcripts not visibly marked as official.
  • They are copies of official transcripts.

What do I DO with these Official Transcripts when I receive them?

  • Print (if needed)
  • Mark them ‘Received as Official’
  • Note the date received
  • Sign or initial that you received them
  • Make a copy for your file (if needed)
  • Send the original to HRIS! (Or the original ‘print’ with your signature if printed from an online service.)

What Banner Reports are out there to help me see Official Transcripts listed in Banner?

There are 2 reports out there: PWRFTAT (Full time Employees) and PWRTRAT (PT Faculty).

What Official Transcripts should I be getting, anyway?

All official transcripts that show the employee met the educational requirements for that job.

  • For FT Faculty with a ‘demonstrated competency’, we need to see all supporting documentation AND the completed and signed Instructor Approval Form (IAF).
  • For PT Faculty… we always need a signed Instructor Approval Form and the official transcripts and/or demonstrated competency supporting materials.

For example, if the IAF for PT Faculty employee HoHo Hozilla specified a Master’s Degree in Feline Psychology and at least 30 credits in Kaiju-Mousie History for HoHo to teach his specific classes, then we should have all official transcripts that show he met that criteria in his degree(s). PLUS the signed Instructor Approval Form.

A good rule of thumb is – if the SAC Requirement or IAF requires a specific degree or lists specific required classwork, we need officials that show the required degree and classwork. That may require that they submit official transcripts from more than one institution!

Sending Stuffs to HRIS

We love processing paperwork. Honest. It’s what we do. Ok, maybe it’s a love hate relationship sometimes, but nothing is perfect.

Here are some suggestions for helping to keep it on the love side (and ensure your request is processed quickly!)

Always complete the document.
Considering the volume of MAP’s and JAF’s we process any given pay period, we often don’t have the time to check documents until we’re ready to enter them. PLEASE complete all of the required fields. You’d be surprised at the number of documents we get without position numbers, without G numbers, missing signatures, incorrect pay calculations, etc.

If you have questions about what you NEED do to complete a MAP, please call HRIS before sending it!

For email requests, make sure you include the pertinent information.

Usually ‘pertinent’ information will minimally include ‘G number, position number, suffix, and effective date.’

For example – Email requests can be things like

  • ‘Please term this casual job.’

In this instance, we would want G number, position number and suffix, and date you want it ended. Please note – this example is just for terming a JOB. A paper term notice needs to be done if the employee is actually leaving the college.

  • ‘Add hours to an existing EPAF/JOB.’

In this instance, we would need G number, position number and suffix, the total new number of hours you want it changed to.

  • Help! Why is this EPAF all messed up?!

Transaction number is the most important here, but G number, Posn, and suffix help.

For emailing documents to the HRIS-Group

  • Make sure your scanned document is legible.

Yes, that seems silly, but we get quite a few that we print and just can’t read.

  • Always use a different subject line when sending a new email.

This is because google groups uses conversation mode (which we can’t change) and if you use the same subject you used previously, it throws it into the same ‘conversation’. Unfortunately, that means we may have already marked it completed and may not notice you added something new to it.

  • If you’re asking for troubleshooting or HRIS to look things up, please include the pertinent information so we CAN look it up. Often G number, position, suffix, EPAF transaction number, etc.
  • Please email from your email account not the scanner

This will help us in looking for what you sent as it will have your email on it not “pccprintcenter”.

For Exceptional Pay Memos
Must be signed by an executive of the college! We get quite a few of these signed by managers/deans (which means they get sent back.) Execs are Campus Presidents or Vice Presidents, or the College President / Vice President. That’s it.

That’s a lot… but it’s very helpful to get the paperwork in as ‘clean’ as possible. It makes everything run faster and smoother!

When do I do a MAP vs an EPAF?

First of all… what is the difference between a MAP (Misc Authorization for Pay) and an EPAF (Electronic Personnel Action Form)?

EPAFs are used to hire (not change) a specific set of job types (see below). MAPS are used to BOTH hire and change specific job types. BOTH are intended only for jobs on the bi-weekly payroll.

For a specific hire, you would only do one or the other (as appropriate.) NEVER both.

Special Pay Rate Note! If you’re paying a special pay rate (outside the pay range for the job/employee type) you ALWAYS have to complete a MAP. This is because we need the Exceptional Pay Memo and you can’t attach the memo to an EPAF.

So excluding the ‘special/exceptional pay folks’ (which always require a MAP), which one do I do?

EPAFS – EPAFs are used for the following types of job hires.

  • Student Hire (not work study)
  • Casual Hire
  • PT Faculty Tutor, Counselor, or Librarian (1 Term job)
  • PT Faculty Sub pay
  • PT Faculty Special Projects Pay
  • Distance Learning Development
  • Student Hire (work study – through Fin Aid only)

MAPS – Maps are used to process the following types of hires and changes. If you need to make a CHANGE to an existing EPAF, you have to use a MAP!

  • Dept Chair / Faculty Assessments
  • CO-OP / Practicum
  • DL Over the Max
  • Exceptional Pay Rate (Must be accompanied by an executive signed memo)
  • Cancellations with Pay
  • Cancellations without Pay
  • Change Job Labor Account
  • Change Hours to be Paid
  • Other

The MAP form is fairly dense, because it’s used for a wide variety of hires/changes. If you have questions beyond the instructions on page 2, please contact your HRIS Specialist for assistance.

HR Paperwork and Payroll Due Dates, Bi-weekly payrolls

What is paid on the bi-weekly payroll?

  • Part-time Faculty
  • Casual
  • Student
  • Faculty Department Chairs (FDC)

Where are the payroll calendars?
The bi-weekly payroll calendar can be found HERE.

When does my paperwork (PT Faculty, Student, Casual hires, FDC) REALLY need to be in HR by?
Paper MAPS and NWRINAS’ need to be in HR no later than the date in the ‘Authorizations Due in HR’ column on the bi-weekly payroll calendar. Why? We need enough time to enter them before payroll processing starts. EPAFS need to be approved by your AUTHSG approver no later than the date in the ‘Authorizations Due in HR’ column on the bi-weekly payroll calendar. Why? We need enough time to complete them before payroll processing starts.

Reminder: Paperwork must be submitted no later than the due date to ensure payment on the appropriate pay date.

What happens if the paperwork, or EPAF, wasn’t submitted on time? Typically a missed pay will be caught up on the next pay cycle. In extreme circumstances we will work with Payroll to see if a manual check can be cut.

HRIS Mini Glossary (because we know we get wordy):
MAP – Miscellaneous Authorization for Pay form. A paper form, used for mostly for PT Faculty jobs and some student and casual hires/changes.

NWRINAS – This Banner report is used to authorize PT Faculty instructional work (and FT Faculty overload) and it draws on information entered into Banner as part of the Schedule Entry process.

EPAFS – Electronic Personnel Action Forms. For creating specific ‘regular pay’ job types, such as: Student, Casual, PT Faculty Subs, PT Faculty Tutors/Counselors/Librarians, etc.

AUTHSG approver – Most EPAFs require an AUTHSG approver. This is your management ‘authorized signature’ (who has taken EPAF Approver training!) for that ‘hire document’.

HR Paperwork and Payroll Due Dates, Monthly payrolls

HR Paperwork and Payroll Due Dates

Who is paid on the monthly payroll?

  • Management
  • Classified
  • Academic Professional
  • Confidential
  • Full-time Faculty
  • 2 Term Daily Rate Faculty

Where are the payroll calendars?
The monthly payroll calendar can be found HERE.

When does my paperwork REALLY need to be in HR by?

  • All monthly job related paperwork are processed on JAF-M’s. That form can be found HERE.
  • Authorizations are Due in HR 2 business days before the authorization begin date. What does that mean? The paperwork is due 2 days before the effective date.

Who (and where) do I send my JAF-M to?

Staff Employment

EMAIL: Please email your appropriate Recruitment Consultant AND always cc: pccjobs@pcc.edu.
Intercampus Mail: HR Staff Employment, DC 300. Note: Paper docs must be received by due date.

JAF-M Types for Staff Employment

  • Temporary Appointments
  • Direct Appointments
  • Faculty Transfers
  • Extensions
  • Career Development
  • New Hire*
    *Note: Staff Employment completes the JAF-M for new hires for you, but you will need to work with them to provide any additional required information.

EMAIL: hris-group@pcc.edu . Please use a ‘distinct’ subject that describes what you’re sending. This helps create a ‘new’ email in the HRIS-GROUP email box. Otherwise, it may get added to an older email thread.
Intercampus Mail: HR HRIS, DC 300. Note: Paper docs must be received by due date.

JAF-M Types for HRIS

  • Work Out of Class
    If you have questions about work out of class paperwork, you should contact Compensation.
  • FTE Changes (will also need to submit a PR/C form IF this is a PERMANENT FTE change.)
  • FOAP Changes (will also need to submit a PR/C form IF this is a PERMANENT FOAP change.)
  • Shift Changes (Night, Swing, etc.)
  • Lead Pay (only valid for a few departments)
  • ‘Other’ Misc changes

What happens if the paperwork wasn’t submitted on time?
To ensure that it is included in the current payroll cycle, paperwork must be received by the 15th of the month. Typically a late pay change will be caught up on the next pay cycle.

HRIS Mini Glossary:

JAF-M – Job Authorization for Monthly Payroll Form. This is the ‘job hire/change form’ for monthly employees.

PR/C Form – Position Request Change form. This is for a position only, NOT incumbents in the position.

FOAP – Banner ‘slang’ for Fund – Org – Account – Program. The ‘labor distribution’ of the job or position. Where it’s getting charged to.