Casual Employee Guidelines

How to Classify a Job

  1. Read the schedule and determine which category of work applies to your casual position.
  2. Decide which step within the appropriate category applies to your casual position. There will rarely be a perfect match; therefore, select the step which best fits your position. The pay range for this step becomes the pay range for the position.

How to Determine a Pay Rate

Select an hourly pay rate which falls within the pay range for the step you have selected. In making this determination you will need to do the following analysis:

  1. Determine the amount of experience the individual has in performing this work.
  2. Compare that experience with other employees in your department performing the same function. Make sure the rate you establish is consistent with rates you are paying other employees with similar experience.
  3. Casual employees are not covered by our labor agreements and are not eligible for shift differentials or other premium pay as defined in the agreements. You may want to consider this fact in establishing a pay rate for someone required to work a non-traditional work schedule.
  4. If there is a possibility that a casual position may ultimately become a position with benefits, be sure the person knows that if they are hired into the benefited position at a later date, that their pay rate may change. The rate of pay could go up or down or it could remain the same. If the pay rate does change, it would be because different compensation and salary placement procedures exist in various contracts and pay plans.

How to Complete an EPAF for New Employees

Please review the instructions on completing an EPAF for detailed information. NOTE: to complete an EPAF you must have completed EPAF training. Contact the IT Training Team for EPAF training information.

Continuing Casual Employees

Each fiscal year Human Resources must receive pay authorizations for continuing casual employees each fiscal year. A casual employee’s rate of pay may be increased for the new fiscal year. Pay increases for casual employees do not occur automatically, but at the discretion of the supervisor who should initiate the change. It is important to note, also, that we MUST receive a EPAF for each continuing casual employee or we will assume their assignment has ended.

Casual Pay rates for Tutors

If the level of tutoring meets the Part-time Faculty tutor requirements as noted below please refer to the tutor rates of pay outlined in the Faculty contract. If they do not meet the below requirements please use the Technical Assistant category in the attached guideline to determine the appropriate casual compensation.

The Part-time Faculty rate for tutors should only be applied if a tutor meets the following requirements:

  1. Provides individualized or small group instruction on an independent basis.
  2. Guides the student(s) to a higher level of comprehension through informal evaluation and feedback.
  3. Applies theory to the instructional process.
  4. Recognizes different learning styles and adapts teaching methodology accordingly.
  5. Draws upon previous related teaching experience to tutor the student(s).

Hiring of Minors as Casual Employees

If you wish to hire a minor (individuals under 18 years old), the assignment and our hiring procedures must be in compliance with the U.S. Department of Labor and the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) regulations concerning employment of minors.

Effective September 9, 1995, individual work permits are no longer required for minors aged 14 through 17 years of age. However, employers are required to verify the ages of all minors hired. Each minor you hire is required to produce an acceptable document that verifies their age, such as a birth certificate or hospital birth record, driver’s license or state picture ID card, passport, alien registration card with picture, or a baptism record that includes the minor’s date of birth. Please maintain records which demonstrate that you have met this requirement. A notation in a file or a copy of the document will meet the record keeping requirement.

You are no longer required to obtain an employment certificate from BOLI for each minor you hire. Current BOLI regulations require that employers must apply for an annual employment certificate to employ minors, and post the validated permit in a conspicuous location. Human Resources will coordinate application for employment certificates and distribution of validated certificates to campuses for posting. Each campus receiving validated employment certificates must contact Human Resources if the duties listed on the certificate change.

There are restrictions regarding the working conditions, number of hours and types of work minors may perform. If you need assistance in determining if the work you have available conforms to the regulations, please contact Human Resources, ext. 5869.

Compensation Schedules
Compensation schedule, description and max hours
Compensation Schedule Description Max Hours
Clerical/Administrative Support Classified type of work.   Employee can work up to 599 hours in a fiscal year.
Service Assistant/Maintenance Classified type of work.   Employee can work up to 599 hours in a fiscal year.
Skilled Craft Classified type of work.   Employee can work up to 599 hours in a fiscal year.
Technical Assistant Classified type of work.   Employee can work up to 599 hours in a fiscal year.
Professional       Academic Professional type of work.   Employee can work up to 959 hours in a fiscal year.
Management/Supervisory Management type of work.   Employee can work up to 1039 hours in a fiscal year.
Special Event Limited use.   One time only event.