Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Remote and online classes

Find your class and register: Browse or search the current schedule for your class and sign up.

video

Remote classes

• Remote classes are held via Zoom. Your instructor will email the Zoom meeting room link to your PCC email account and the preferred email on file approximately 48 hours before the class begins. More info can be found in the FAQ below.
  • Senior tuition discounts and employee tuition waivers apply to the tuition of remote classes.
  • View the drop deadlines for remote classes (based on class length).
  • Students must access their PCC email account in order to attend class.
  • Learn about the PCC Bookstore and ordering books.
globe

Online Ed2Go classes

• Online classes are taught in collaboration with Ed2Go, a third-party online instructional resource.
  • These classes don’t have live instruction. Most classes are designed for structured group learning through modules and moderated discussions.
  • Students must register and pay through PCC’s Ed2Go website.
  • Payment is required in order to complete registration.
  • Senior tuition discounts do not apply to the tuition of Ed2Go classes.
  • Employee tuition waivers do not apply to the tuition of Ed2Go classes.
  • The drop deadline for Ed2Go classes is six days after the start of class.

Frequently asked questions

Getting started with Zoom
What is Zoom?

Zoom is an online audio and video conferencing tool that allows people to call each other and host virtual meetings or classes. Examples of similar tools are Skype, FaceTime, and Google Hangouts. New users can learn more about Zoom.

Do I need my own Zoom account to take a remote class?

No, you do not need your own Zoom account in order to join a Zoom classroom. You only need the Zoom meeting room link provided by the host, who in this case will be your instructor.

What are the internet requirements for using Zoom?

In order to use Zoom on your computer, you must have an internet connection that is either wired broadband or 3G/4G/LTE wireless. See more information on system requirements for Zoom.

When will I get my Zoom link for the class?

Your instructor will email the Zoom meeting room link to your PCC email account approximately 48 hours before the class begins. If you register after this point, the instructor will send you a link on the first day of class. If you register after the first day of class, which is allowed for 8-10 week classes, you will receive your link on the second day of class.

What if I don’t receive my Zoom link?

If you do not receive a Zoom meeting room link within the time frame mentioned above, please log in to your PCC email account and email communityed@pcc.edu. Let us know which class you are taking, and that you have not received your Zoom meeting room link.

To speed up the communication process, it’s best to also copy your instructor on this email. Instructions for how to find your instructor’s email can be found under the “Remote Classes” section of this FAQ.

Can I share my Zoom link?

No, students are not allowed to share their class’s Zoom link with anyone.

How do I join a Zoom classroom meeting?

Step-by-step instructions for joining a Zoom meeting can be found below. See additional guidance, including a video walkthrough, about how to join a Zoom meeting.

1. You can join a Zoom meeting by clicking on the meeting room link provided by your instructor. The link will be provided via your PCC email, as a calendar invite, or in the body of the email. If you already have Zoom’s desktop app on your computer, the meeting room link may also be visible there.
  2. If you don’t have the desktop app, when you click on the link, you will then be prompted to either install Zoom software or open a Zoom meeting file.
  3. Once you have completed Step 2, you will be prompted to join the meeting room. Click “Join” and then click the “Join Audio by Computer” button to have Zoom use the default audio and video devices currently connected to your computer. You’re in!
Using Zoom
How do I turn off my video feed?

Click the “Stop Video” icon, which can be found in the “meeting controls” panel at the bottom of your Zoom screen. Other options on this panel include “Mute” and “Participants.” You should still be able to see other people if their video feed is on, and other people should still be able to hear you when you are unmuted.

How do I change my screen name?

Click the “Participants” icon, which can be found in the “meeting controls” panel at the bottom of your Zoom screen. Other options on this panel include “Mute” and “Stop Video.” A “Participants” window will appear. Click the “Rename” button. A window will pop up with a “New Screen Name” field. Enter your preferred screen name into this field, along with any pronouns you would like to share with the class. Click “OK” to finalize the change.

How do I mute myself?

Click the “Mute” icon, which can be found in the “meeting controls” panel at the bottom of your Zoom screen. Other options on this panel include “Start Video” and “Participants.”

How do I use Zoom’s chat feature?

While in a meeting, click the “Chat” icon, which can be found in the “meeting controls” panel at the bottom of your Zoom screen. Other options on this panel include “Start Video” and “Participants.” More information on using Zoom’s chat feature.

What should I do if I have a bad connection or my internet goes out?

When an instructor shares the Zoom meeting room link for their class, they will also share a call-in number, meeting ID, and potentially a password. Students can use the call-in number provided by their instructor to rejoin the class over the phone. When calling in, students will be prompted to provide the meeting ID and password.

Remote classes
How do I find my instructor’s contact information?

You can find your instructor’s email by searching for their name in PCC’s staff directory. If you are unable to reach your instructor, please email communityed@pcc.edu.

Can I attend a remote class if I don’t have a camera, or don’t feel comfortable being on camera?

In many cases, cameras are encouraged, but not required for our classes. However, for some of our classes, you might find that having a camera is important. If you have questions about whether having a camera is useful or essential for your class, please contact your instructor or email communityed@pcc.edu.

When will I get my Zoom link for the class?

Your instructor will email the Zoom meeting room link to your PCC email account and the preferred email on file approximately 48 hours before the class begins. If you register after this point, the instructor will send you a link on the first day of class.

To confirm or change the preferred email on file, click the “My Records” link under the Quick Links section on the MyPCC home page. You will need to log into your MyPCC account to access this information. From here, click on the “Personal Information” link to view and update your email, address, or phone number. If you do not have a preferred email listed, click on the “Update Email Addresses” link to add one.

Will remote class meetings be recorded through Zoom?

Classes may be recorded at the discretion of the instructor. Instructors are not required to record their classes. If an instructor intends to record a class, they are required to inform you before they begin recording. Students will have a chance to turn off their video feed and/or change their screen name before recording begins. More information on how to turn off your video feed or change your screen name can be found under the “Using Zoom” section of this FAQ.

What if my instructor does not show up on time?

Please wait for at least ten minutes in case your instructor is experiencing technical difficulties.

I still have questions about remote classes and/or using Zoom. Who should I contact?

If you have any follow-up questions or would like to schedule a Zoom trial run on your computer, call Community Education’s infoline at 971-722-6266 (option 0) or email communityed@pcc.edu.

Online Ed2Go classes
Can I register for Ed2Go Online classes through MyPCC?

No. Students must register and pay for Ed2Go classes through PCC’s Ed2Go website.

Are Ed2Go classes free? I don’t see any tuition listed on PCC’s website.

Ed2Go classes are not free. Fees for each class can be found when you search for the course on PCC’s Ed2Go website.

Can I use a PCC payment plan to pay for Ed2Go classes?

You cannot use PCC’s usual payment plan for Ed2Go classes. However, we can accept third-party payments. For more information on third-party payments for Ed2Go, email Windy Wahlke at windy.wahlke15@pcc.edu.

Can I use my employee tuition waiver for Ed2Go classes?

Unfortunately, students cannot use their employee tuition waiver for Ed2Go classes.

I still have questions about Ed2Go classes. Who should I contact?

For class details, including syllabuses, hardware requirements, and instructor bios, search for the class on PCC’s Ed2Go website. For further support, call 971-722-2711 or email online@pcc.edu.

PCC email account
I don’t have a PCC email account. How do I get one?

Everyone enrolled as a credit or non-credit student is assigned a PCC email account, accessed by logging into their MyPCC account. Even if you have not ever logged in, your account still exists.

How do I log in to my PCC email account?

Go to my.pcc.edu. You will be prompted to enter a username and password to log in. Once you are logged in to MyPCC, access your email by clicking on the envelope icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

How do I log in to my PCC email account if I don’t know my username or password?

Go to my.pcc.edu. If you have never logged in before, you will need to click the “First time user?” link and set up your account. If you have logged in before, but can’t remember your password, click the “Forgot your password?” link for assistance. For each of these processes, you will need to know your username. If you do not know your username, call PCC’s IT Help Desk at 971-722-4400.

More questions?

Remote classes: If you have a follow-up question about remote courses, call Community Education’s info line at 971-722-6266 (option 0) or email communityed@pcc.edu.

Ed2Go online classes: For class details, including syllabuses, hardware requirements, and instructor bios, search for the class on PCC’s Ed2Go website. For further support, call 971-722-2711 or email ed2go@pcc.edu.