Early Education and Family Studies
Plays Well With Others
The early years shape a life. Recent research in child development has demonstrated that during the years from birth through 6 years old, important growth occurs in all domains, including social, emotional, cognitive, linguistic and physical development. The early care and educational practitioner – whether a teacher, family or child care provider – plays a critical role in fostering children’s development.
In PCC’s Early Education and Family Studies program, we offer you the skills you need to succeed in the world of childhood development, education centers, child care and assisted education.
Degrees and Certificates
In this program you can earn the following:
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Early Education and Family Studies
- Early Education and Family Studies Certificate
See the Catalog for information regarding program requirements.
Prospective students should note that a completed not-for-credit credential (the CDA: Child Development Associate and the Oregon Registry Step 7) may apply to the Early Education and Family Studies program and the student’s transcript for program credit. Please speak with a program advisor for more details.
Portland Community College's Early Education & Family Studies articulation agreement with Portland State University allows for up to 80 transfer credits toward Portland State University's Child and Family Studies degree when students are accepted into the program. Students are encouraged to check with PSU, a PCC academic advisor and the University Transfer website for the most accurate and timely transfer requirement information.
- Apply for Admission to PCC.
- Take the New Student Orientation.
- Take College Placement Tests. See Catalog for required scores.
- Attend an Early Education & Family Studies Information and Advising Session. Please call 971-722-4217 to reserve your space. Fall Information and Advising Sessions:
- Wednesday, October 8, 6pm - 7:30pm Sylvania, HT 113B
- Wednesday, November 5, 6pm - 7:30pm Sylvania, HT 113B
- Wednesday, December 3, 6pm - 7:30pm Sylvania, HT 113B
- Prepare a proposed schedule of classes.