The PCC Welding program will occasionally work on community service projects. These projects are submitted to the program and our staff decides to accept the project or not. Acceptance is based on criteria such as:
- Is the project for a non-profit or public organization?
- Will the tax-payers or the public in general benefit from the project?
- Are there currently students in the welding program that will benefit from working on the project?
- Is there a source of funding to complete the project?
- Will the project impact welding instruction by using valuable shop space needed for classes?
SWAT ( Special Weapons and Tactics ) truck conversion
The Marion County Sheriff’s office had purchased a surplus armored car that was going to be used as a transport vehicle for the SWAT team. Due to funding restrictions, the weld shop at PCC was asked to help convert the truck for use in the field.
This project consisted of building a replacement front grille and front and back bumpers, frames for benches and handholds on the outside of the truck.