Why choose Native American Studies at PCC?
Events and resources
Opportunities in Native American Studies are on the rise: in 2017, Oregon passed a bill to develop a statewide curriculum on the Native American experience and history in Oregon.
Portland Community College Native American Studies will help you:
- Increase your level of cultural awareness, respect, and humility
- Gain a fuller understanding of human behavior from a cross-cultural perspective
- Examine issues related to social justice, culture change, and globalization
Race, Indigenous Nations and Gender studies
PCC’s Race Indigenous Nations and Gender (RING) faculty are devoted to you learning about injustice and how to address the inequities in our society. Consider taking classes in a range of RING subjects that address these concerns.
Degrees and certificates
|Award||Length||Financial aid eligible||Currently accepting students?|
|University transfer||2 years at PCC + 2 years at university|
What will you learn?
Native American Studies (NAS) is an interdisciplinary study of the Indigenous peoples of the United States. Our classes explore:
- Native American experiences and worldviews in relation to the larger context of Indigenous experiences throughout the Americas and the Pacific
- The Native Nations of the United States from antiquity to the present and future
- The centrality of Indigenous languages to Indigenous worldviews and ways of knowing
- The effects of invasion and colonization on Native American populations
- U.S. Federal Indian law and policy
- Native citizenship and enrollment, methods of tribal governance
- Native arts and cultural expressions
- Native survival, resilience, adaptation, political self-determination, tribal sovereignty, and Indigenous futures
What will you do?
Native American Studies contributes to many fields, and it is valuable for working with diverse communities and cultures.
Native American Studies classes at PCC are designed to transfer as credit toward the new major in Indigenous Nations and Native American Studies at Portland State University. These courses may also transfer as credit toward a major in Native American Studies, Ethnic Studies, or American Studies at other regional universities, and they will transfer to most other university degree programs as elective credit.
If you are planning to transfer to a college or university other than Portland State University, see an adviser for additional information and guidance.
Applying to PCC is free and only takes a few minutes.Apply now
Not quite ready to apply?
We can help you get the info you need.
PCC offers more than 90 programs.