What is a scholarship?
- Scholarships are money that a student gets from a college or organization.
- Scholarships are used to help pay for a student’s education.
What is the difference between a scholarship and a student loan?
- A student loan is money that a student borrows to help pay for classes.
- The student must pay back the money later.
- When a student receives a scholarship, they do NOT pay any money back.
What is the ESOL Annual Scholarship?
- The ESOL Annual Scholarship is only for students in the ESOL program at PCC.
- It provides $1100 to help pay for ESOL credit classes at PCC.
- It may be given to up to four students for the 2019-2020 school year.
Which students can apply for the ESOL Annual Scholarship?
- Students must have started the ESOL program at PCC in level 1-3.
- They must be currently enrolled in levels 4-7.
- They will still be in the ESOL program in Summer 2019.
- They must have a C+ grade or higher in their ESOL classes.
How can I apply for this scholarship?
You’ll need to:
- Complete the online scholarship application. (You will need your PCC user name and password)
- Provide contact information (the names and email addresses) of two of your ESOL teachers who can write letters of recommendation for you.
- Write three essays on three given topics.
Can you tell me more about the essays?
- They must be no be more than 1.5 pages long, double spaced (this is about 350 words). But they can be shorter.
- The three essay topics are:
- Essay 1: What is your career goal and educational plan to meet this goal? What inspired you to choose this field of study and career?
- Essay 2: Describe a significant challenge or change that has occurred in your life in the last ten years. How did you respond and what did you learn about yourself?
- Essay 3: Describe something about yourself that you haven’t addressed already in your essays. Why is this important to you?
Can I get help with my essays?
- One of the ESOL teachers may be available to mentor you. They will be able to help with the application process. This includes coaching you on your essays.
- You can also get help with your essays at the Tutoring Center or Writing Center on your campus.
- See a sample student essay
When is the application deadline?
- The last day to submit your application, including essays, is March 1, 2019.
- The last day to submit the contact information for the instructors (who will write your letters of recommendation) is February 1, 2019.
- Please note: this contact information must be submitted online. However, it can be submitted before you finish the rest of the application and essays.
If you would like to apply for the ESOL Annual Scholarship:
- Please email the contact person on your campus if you are interested.