Other ways to learn English
Portland Community College
- PCC class schedule: Look in the Credit section under English for Speakers of Other Languages.
Look in the Non-Credit section under Languages for Survival English, ESL Grammar, and Accent Reduction.
- High school equivalency in Spanish: Call for information: 971-722-6219 or 971-722-6255
- Web based ESOL Grammar: tuition & fee: 971-722-6619, PCC Community Ed Online Instruction Center
- High school equivalency online: must go through overview and placement at a PCC Campus. Call 971-722-6255 for information.
Clackamas Community College
- Harmony Campus: 7738 SE Harmony Road, Milwaukee. Mon-Thurs, 6-9pm. Placement test fee: $25. Gloria Castaneda: 503-594-0638 or Marina Drozdova: 503-594-0637
- Oregon City Campus: 19600 Molalla Ave, Oregon City. Mon-Fri, 9am-1pm, multilevel. Placement test fee: $25. Nena Monterroza: 503-594-3234, email@example.com
- El Programa Hispano: 138 NE 3rd St, Suite 140, Gresham. ESL & citizenship classes at main office, Hall Elementary, and East Gresham Elementary. Free, academic year. Laura Hernandez, 503-492-6726, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mt. Hood Community College: Main Campus 26000 SE Stark St, Gresham. Separated levels, $15-30, register for term. mhcc.edu, 503-491-7333, Español 503-491-7675
- Beaverton Literacy Council: Class locations: Beaverton Community Center, Bethel Congregational United Church of Christ, Greenway Elementary, Murray Hills Christian Church, Beaverton. ESL, citizenship classes, and book group. Five levels. $40 per year plus $35 for book (fees can be reduced for financial need). Placement test for new students. See placement test and class schedules: beavertonliteracy.org, 503-520-8764.
- Cornelius-Centro Cultural: 1174/1110 N Adair St., Cornelius. ESL, ABE & high school equivalency classes, 6- to 11-week terms, $40, Spanish speakers only. Child care $2 per child per class. 503-359-0446, email@example.com.
- Hurtado Center at Jesuit High School: Javier Hall, 9000 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Portland. ESL & Citizenship classes, $25 fee for 10-week course. jesuitportland.org, Chely Castillo: 503-291-5482.
- Ingles Para Trabajadores Agricolas: Hillsboro. For people who have worked on farms in the last two years and their dependents. ESL (incl. Rosetta Stone and help paying for classes at PCC), job training, and employment information. Year-round. Danielle Briggs 503-640-5496, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Bartholomew Church: 11265 SW Cabot, Beaverton. Evening ESOL classes, 10-week terms. Four levels, $5 registration fee, register at class. Free childcare. 503-644-3468, email@example.com.
- Village ESOL: Village Baptist Church, 330 SW Murray Blvd., Beaverton, Multilevel, $10 registration plus book fee, Free classes and childcare, Class Flyer on Village website; Nanci Leiton, 503-716-5748, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Portland ESL Network: A reliable, up-to-date network that shares information and locations of ESL programs in the Portland area: visit Portland ESL Network
- English in Action: A program for English conversation practice. First Congregational Church, 1137 SW Broadway. (BACK DOOR, at corner of Broadway and Madison). Free, no registration required, Saturdays, 9am, academic year only. Wendy Shaw, 503-227-8191, email@example.com.
North and Northeast Portland
- IRCO: 10301 NE Glisan St, Portland. A variety of ESL services to qualified refugee families through referral only. irco.org, 503-234-1541.
- Multnomah University: 8435 NE Glisan St, Portland. Mitchell Library Classroom L110. Multilevel ESL, free, open-entry. Kristen Hubert, 503-251-6412, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trinity Lutheran Church: 5520 NE Killingsworth, Portland. Beg. & intermediate. ESL, Thurs, 7-8:30pm, mid-Sept–May. Free, open-entry. Child care available. Fred Kramer: email@example.com.
- Goodwill Services: 1943 SE 6th Ave, Portland. Separated levels, free. Visit administrative offices and take a placement test to register. David Cassaday: 503-238-6173, Aaron Schwartz: 503-238-6196.
- YES to College: PCC Links, 2305 SE 82nd Ave, Portland. ESL, high school equivalency & high school completion. Ages 16-20. firstname.lastname@example.org or 971-722-6293, Mathilda Lee (Chinese-speaking) 971-722-6110, August Stockton (Español) 971-722-6294.
- Russian Oregon Social Services: 4033 SE Woodstock Blvd, Portland. ESL and self-sufficiency classes for women Russian speakers. Serves Russian-speaking community. Classes ongoing throughout the year. 503-777-3437.
- SE Works: Work Source Portland Metro Southeast, 7916 SE Foster Rd. #104, Portland. ESL classes, multilevel, free, individual tutoring. Weekly ESL computer lab, quarterly conversation potlucks, content-specific group classes, year-round. seworks.org. Blair Orfall, 503-772-2341, email@example.com.
Southwest Portland, Northwest Portland, Tigard
- St Anthony’s Middle School: 9905 SW McKenzie, Tigard. Multilevel ESL classes, free, no childcare, Tues. & Thurs. eves, 10-week terms. Derene Meurisse503-590-5582, or Marco Espinoza (Español) 503-639-4179 ext.129.
- Sunset Presbyterian Church: Address: 14986 NW Cornell Rd. Portland, Or 97229 Description: Six Adult Class Levels, registration fee is $10, books are $25 and can be reused. Six (6) class levels from Basic to advanced. Typical Term: 8 weeks Spring registration Saturday, March 28th from 9-11 a.m. or first day of class, April 11th 8:30 – 10 a.m. Spring term classes run April 11th-May 30th. Classes run from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Visit Sunset Presbyterian Church or Contact: 503-292-9293 x3097 Need to email us?
- Tigard Senior Center: 503-620-4613: 8815 SW O’Mara St, Tigard. ESL classes and Citizenship tutoring. Separated levels, free, open entry. Kris Magaurn: firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-620-4613.
- Tigard United Methodist Church: 9845 SW Walnut Pl, Tigard. Free ESL classes, 3 levels, open-entry, 10 week terms. Free childcare. Paul Colligan 971-275-3775 (English), Rosemary Carleson 503-635-6505 (Español).
Other citizenship classes
Contact your local library. Classes may vary from location to location and term to term.
- Check bookstores, public and college libraries for books, cassette tapes and video tapes to help you learn.
- Powell’s Books
- Beaverton: 3415 SW Cedar Hills Blvd., 503-228-4651
- Portland: 1005 W Burnside, 503-228-4651
- USA Learns, a free site for adults to learn English or improve basic reading, writing, speaking and life skills.