Resources for faculty who are, or are seeking to, integrate community-based learning into their teaching practice.
updated as of 03/23/20
- If CBL is a component of your course, it must be in line with current PCC remote instruction policies.
- Community engagement must be virtual and cannot include any in person activities.
- Related CBL Instructor Resources
- Distance Learning and Virtual Volunteering
- Guidance for CBL Faculty Partnering with Community Groups/Individuals
- CBL Faculty group on GivePulse – We are utilizing the discussion wall to share/see resources. If you are not a member yet, request to join and you will be added.
- Resources to reference and share with students for recommended practices for volunteering and community engagement
- PCC COVID-19 resources page for best preventative measures for COVID-19
- GivePulse COVID-19 page and blog post (”Supporting Our Communities in the Time of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)”)
Using GivePulse for your Community-Based Learning class
GIvePulse allows the CBL Program to manage community partnerships and track engagement for students in community-based learning courses. You will be able to log in to GivePulse using your MyPCC login. If you need assistance with the platform, please contact the CBL Program Coordinator.
- Basics of GivePulse for faculty (YouTube video)
- PCC group on GivePulse
- GivePulse Faculty Resources
- Group page for you CBL designated class: All faculty who utilize CBL have access to GivePulse. Any courses you have designated as CBL will have a group page. Your students will also be added to a class group page.
Track student community engagement through impacts:
Reporting made easy through GivePulse! By using the platform, your course and students’ impact will automatically be shared with the CBL Program. The old reporting form with still be available for the time being. Any data submitted, will be entered into the GivePulse platform.
- Impact defined
- Impact verification
- Reported by students: Encourage you students to utilize the platform to keep track of their community engagement hours by creating “impacts.” These impacts can be verified by you and/or the community partner.
- Reported by you for your entire class: You can also report your class’s impact as a group vs individually
- Find community partners: Through the PCC group page you will be able to find organizations that are affiliated with PCC.
- Designate specific Community Partners for specific courses: If you have specific community partners for your course, you can “affiliate” with them.
- Create your own community engagement opportunity: If you have a project or volunteer opportunity for your class, you can create a specific event to share with your students.
CBL coordinators are here to help!
Our program staff are available to provide the following:
- Individual consultation on integrating community-based learning into your course
- Class/meeting presentations per your needs and requests
- A comprehensive list of approved community-based learning sites
- Assist the community with the development and enhancement of community-based learning programming
- Relationship building with new partners
- Problem solving and quality control
- Regular workshops and training on community-based learning
Feel free to contact any of our team for one on one assistance.
In Class Assistance
Request a class presentation on any of the following topics:
- CBL Resources for Students
- GivePulse Orientation
- Collaborating with Community Partners
- Class raps about upcoming community engagement opportunities (volunteer events/needs, CBL classes, community service work study, etc…)
- Or suggest another topic that would be helpful for your students!
Please complete the form and we will contact you to make further arrangements.
Faculty Tool Kit
Resources and forms
- CBL Quick Guide for PCC
- CBL Best Practices for PCC: Examples
- CBL Best Practices for PCC: Orientation, Student FAQs, and Promoting CBL to your students
- CBL in Distance Learning and Virtual Community Engagement
Resources by discipline
- Student experiences
- Community partner promotional videos
- CBL programming