2019-2020 Professional Development Continuum for PCC Faculty
Supporting faculty with professional development to incorporate CBL into their teaching practice
Celebrating and recognizing our Community of Practice - CBL Faculty, Students, Staff, and Community Partners
Connecting students with community engagement opportunities
Learning outside the classroom and in the community
Learning about and addressing community needs through CBL courses
CBL: Community-Based Learning Program
Community-Based Learning (CBL) at PCC is an academic program that provides support across all disciplines through assisting faculty with community-based learning course implementation, professional development, and resources.
Additionally, CBL provides GivePulse as a resource for hands-on individual and student group volunteering throughout the greater Portland region.
If your course includes a CBL project or assignment during the Spring 2020 term, the community engagement or volunteering must be completed virtually or online.
Visit the PCC COVID-19 resources page for best preventative measures for COVID-19.
- GivePulse COVID-19 page
- Blog post “Supporting Our Communities in the Time of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)” for recommended practices for volunteering and community engagement.
- Search GivePulse for ways to support your community during the Coronavirus Pandemic. Use the Get Involved link to search for opportunities with these new filter categories:
- Virtual/Remote – to find opportunities that can be done remotely
- Emergencies – to find current needs, projects, initiatives that need more immediate volunteers due to the impact of COVID-19
Please keep in mind that organizations/groups may have limited capacity to interact with students as they address internal immediate needs and concerns around COVID-19. It is best to double check with an organization to see if their GivePulse opportunities are up to date.
Faculty: Teach with CBL
- Professional Development
- One-on-One Assistance
- Faculty Tool Kit
- Community Partnerships
- Steps for Faculty New to CBL
Apply for Evan and Hattie’s Memorial Scholarship by the April 1 deadline!
PCC students who completed a CBL project or assignment during Spring 2019, Summer 2019, Fall 2019, and/or Winter 2020 are eligible for this $1000 scholarship. See scholarship application for full details.
Experience Community-Based Learning
CBL Project: Humans of Southeast
Community Partner: PCC SE Multicultural Center
Course: PSY 101 Psychology and Human Relations
Instructor: Ken Kraska
Toolkit for our CBL Community Partners
- GivePulse for PCC
- Student Volunteer Recruitment
- Relevant PCC Contacts