Summer Term 2017
GRN172 – Adult Care Home Training (CRN 30637) uses the State of Oregon approved Ensuring Quality Care curriculum and is designed to prepare prospective adult care home operators and resident managers for the State Qualifying Test.
Gerontology is an exciting and dynamic field. Careers in gerontology are one of the largest growing areas in the 21st century workplace, and PCC's Gerontology Program is on the cutting edge of these opportunities. Our program is one of the best in the field. PCC's Gerontology Students and Faculty share a passion to explore the possibilities and opportunities that are rapidly emerging in the Field of Aging.
Our program is designed for you
Geronauts are individuals who:
- Wish to develop new careers in the Field of Aging,
- Are already active in Gerontology (or in related fields), wishing to enhance their career paths, and
- Seek challenging and meaningful career changes in response to new opportunities created by an aging society.
In our program we reimagine aging and seek to provoke culture change. Grounded in the new aging, we assist students in designing and developing new career opportunities and create new undertakings using promising, evidence-based research. Graduates of this program will develop necessary skills through interdisciplinary core courses and electives tailored toward their unique career goals. Our internships, mentorships and career coaching prepare students to create individualized career paths in service industries responding to new definitions of what it means to be an older person in our world today.
Our program is value driven
- Teaching about aging.
- Promoting optimal aging for everyone.
- Supporting encore learners, and thereby benefiting all learners.
- Creating culture change agents and advocates for older persons.
- Igniting the entrepreneurial spirit in students to forge new paths in an emerging field.
- Encouraging creative innovation.
- Remaining at the cutting edge of this emerging field.
- Affirming PCC's Commitments as both Ageless and for all Ages.
Our program is career oriented
In this CTE Program, job prospects for students are good. To that end we offer an AAS Degree and seven different certificates.
Degrees and Certificates
In this program you can earn the following:
- Associate of Applied Science
- Career Pathway Certificates:
As well as these offerings, we collaborate with other PCC programs to offer certificates combining their discipline and aging: Interior Design offers the Design for Accessibility and Aging in Place Certificate, and Fitness Technology offers the Healthy Older Adult Fitness Certificate. In addition, students can earn co-degrees and/or co-certificates in Gerontology and Fitness Technology. Outside of PCC, we have Transfer Agreements with other colleges with Bachelor Programs in Gerontology & other fields.
See the catalog for information regarding all program requirements.
Our program offers unique student supports for encore learners.
Two thirds of our ~200 Gerontology majors are 40+, half are 50+.
- Older Adult Andragogy – The Aging Mind course, Blended-Applied-Flexible Learning, GRN Online Homeroom (in D2L), Ageless Network student club
- Encore Career Development – Career Pathways, Job Skills Workshops, Internships, Networks Career Management Strategies - Assessment, Planning, Job Tools, and Learning Outcomes& Career ePortfolios
- Entrepreneurial Thinking – Exploring Opportunities, Creating New Jobs & Enterprises Our Connections
- Intentional Internship Sites that lead directly to career opportunities
- Advising Teams for new curriculum and certificate development
- Joint Projects & Collaborations (Second Wind Tour, Work After 50, Healthy Aging)
We want you to succeed.
- Apply for admission to PCC
- Join the Gerontology Program to start receiving our eNewsletter.
- Submit an official copy of your transcripts from any other institutions attended to:
- Gerontology Program SY SS215
Portland Community College
12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR 97219
- Gerontology Program SY SS215
- Request an appointment to meet with an Advisor in person or by telephone: 971-722-8254, email@example.com.
- Learn how to link your passion with the opportunities through GRN181 Exploring the Field of Aging, (2 credits). Offered every term.
Taskforce on Aging
In response to Oregon's aging demographic and the projected aging of PCC's student body and Oregon's workforce, the College convened a Taskforce on Aging. Learn more about the taskforce and how members of the Gerontology Program are involved.