An Accredited Program for a High-Demand Career
Since 1970, graduates of PCC's Dental Hygiene program have been in high demand because of their reputation for excellent patient care and quality skills. Our curriculum is designed to prepare you for the state and regional licensure examinations and for the clinical practice of dental hygiene. In addition, our courses are fully transferable to four-year institutions, and the program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and endorsed by the American Dental Association (ADA). This is the link to file comments and/or complaints with the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) about the program in relation to Accreditation Standards. To view CODA Dental Accreditation standards please go to Standards for Allied Dental Education Programs.
All primary functions are taught to clinical competency standards as approved by the Oregon Board of Dentistry for dental hygienists. A broad-based education in dental sciences, clinical techniques, biological sciences and humanities prepares the graduate for work in private practice and community settings.
In this program you can earn the following:
See the Catalog for information regarding program requirements.
When all course work is completed with a C grade or higher, the student is eligible to sit for the National Board Examination and the Western Regional Board Examinations. Only after graduation from the program and successful completion of both board examinations is a student eligible for licensure. Licensure requires finger printing and Criminal Activity Disclosure. Questions regarding this requirement may be directed to the Oregon Board of Dentistry at 503-229-5520.
- Attend a Dental Program Information Session
- Complete the steps for new students
- The admissions form will ask you what you plan to study. Since this is a restricted entry program, you should choose Associate of General Studies for now. Your major will be changed once you've applied and been accepted into the program.
- For more information about specific program prerequisites, refer to the Health Admissions Office.
- Plan how you'll pay for college
- Apply for admissionto the Dental Hygiene program