Frequently asked questions

Is the Vanport Building the only location with this program?


What type of degree will I have when finished with the program?

Associate of Applied Science Degree.

Do I have to be finished with prerequisites to apply?

Yes. All prerequisites must be completed by the end of the winter term before the application deadline. If you plan to register for a course at PCC that has a prerequisite and the prerequisite was completed at another institution, you will need a prerequisite override. Call or email the PCC Health Admissions Office.

How competitive is PCC’s Dental Hygiene program?

PCC’s Dental Hygiene program is highly competitive. We typically receive approximately 100 applications each year for 20 spaces.

What transcripts do I need to submit with my application?

Official transcripts from all institutions you have attended, including PCC, must be submitted and received by DHCAS by the April 15, 8:59pm (PST) application deadline.

Can I send official transcripts with my application or does the college I attended have to send them?

PCC uses an independent organization for online application processing called the DH Centralized Application Service (DHCAS). Transcripts from all institutions, including PCC, must be mailed directly to DHCAS:

ADEA DHCAS Processing Department
P.O. Box 9129
Watertown, MA 02471

Can I use my placement test scores to substitute for taking a course?

No. Placement test scores are only used to determine which course you should take. We will not use placement test scores in place of the required course, even if the placement is higher than the course we require.

What’s the profile of a competitive applicant?

Competitive applicants typically have at least a 3.5 overall GPA, A’s in the science prerequisite courses, and some experience in a dental setting.

Is it required to be a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) to apply? Do CDA’s have a better chance of getting into the program?

No, being a CDA is not required to apply to the Dental Hygiene program. Applicants who are CDAs or have a minimum of 1600 hours of work experience in a dental setting can earn up to 10 points for healthcare experience. Points are awarded based on employer or instructor evaluations.

Can I transfer on to get a Bachelor’s degree?

Yes. Many of our students finish their Bachelor’s degree at four-year institutions. PCC Dental Hygiene students have had the option of having all of their credits from general education and Dental Hygiene program electives transfer to various institutions for Bachelor degree completion programs, such as Portland State University (Public Health or Business), Pacific University (Health Management), Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT), University of Idaho, Idaho State University, Eastern Washington University (classes are taken at Clark College in Vancouver, WA). Students are advised to speak with an advisor at the institution they plan to transfer to, as they will have the final decision in determining which of the PCC credits are transferable and accepted.

What’s the difference between an Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Dental Hygiene?

Both degrees will allow you to sit for the national board exam and become a Registered Dental Hygienist. A Bachelor’s degree provides additional education and prepares dental hygienists to assume key roles in educational and other settings.

Do I need to apply to PCC to apply to the Dental Hygiene program?

Yes, you must be a PCC Student to apply to the PCC Dental Hygiene Program. Apply for admission to PCC.

If you have a question you think should go on the FAQ page, let us know!