Information technology jobs are "projected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations and add 286,600 new jobs over the 2008-18 decade."US Bureau of Labor Statistics’ 2010-11 Occupational Outlook Handbook.
CIS Student Advising
It is highly recommended to meet with a CIS advisor to establish your course schedule. Please contact the advisor at the campus closest to you:
- Michele Maxwell at Sylvania campus: email@example.com
- Jessie Levine at Rock Creek campus: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: The CIS program is located at the Sylvania campus. PCC only offers an advising resource at Rock Creek."
Computer Information Systems are a necessary and vital component of our modern life. Our program prepares students for careers in computer networking and information software by providing training in the programming languages, tools and technologies used in today’s IT industry. Our classes are taken by students who are new to Information Technology as well as by IT professionals, who are interested in updating or expanding their skill set.
Some typical entry-level jobs in this field include Computer Support Specialist, Help Desk, Network Administrator Assistant, and Database Administrator Assistant. Please visit Careers to learn more about this exciting industry.
Topics covered in the CIS program include:
- Programming and Application Development
- Database Development
- Web Technology
- Network Administration
- Network Security and Computer Forensics
- Project Management
Degrees and Certificates
In this program you can earn the following:
- Associate of Applied Science: Computer Information Systems Degree
- Associate of Applied Science in CIS: Network Administration degree option
- Associate of Applied Science in Health Informatics
- One-Year Certificate in Computer Information Systems
- One-Year Certificate in E-Commerce
- Design and Development Concentration
- Administration Concentration
- Less than One-Year CIS Career Pathway Certificates:
- Database Design and SQL
- Oracle and SQL
- Java Application Programming
- VB.Net Application Programming
- Web Application Development
- Network Administration
- Linux Server Administration
- Microsoft Server Administration
- UNIX/Linux Network Security
- Windows Network Security
Please see the Catalog for information regarding program requirements and course descriptions.
- Apply for admission to PCC. Identify yourself as a Degree or Certificate seeking student and specify the CIS program when you fill out the application.
- Take the College Placement Tests. (See the Program Requirements listed in the Catalog.)
- If you have college credits from a regionally accredited college or university within the United States, order an official copy of those transcripts and have them evaluated by Student Records.
- Meet with a CIS advisor:
Are you enrolled in and nearing completion of your certificate or degree?
The Professional Skills Training and Employment Project (ProSTEP) Training and employment placement services can help pay for short-term skill upgrade and industry-recognized certifications, two-year degree programs, internships, and On-the-Job Training in computer information and network technology.
Please plan to attend the Training Information and Scholarship workshops! Check the ProSTEP flyer for details.