The Rock Creek Student Learning Center (SLC) offers academic support (tutoring) for over 20 subjects taught at Rock Creek. The center has tutors, Part Time Faculty, and Math Faculty Volunteers available all open hours who can answer questions. Our center includes the Biology Lounge and supports all Open Labs on campus.
- Student can arrange tutoring accommodations by contacting PCC Disability Services
In the Rock Creek Student Learning Center, enrolled students can use the following resources:
- Drop in tutoring, access a computer lab (PC/Mac) & printers
- Use whiteboards to brainstorm and facilitate group discussions
- Borrow textbooks, calculators, headphones
- Use the Biology Lounge to study models and review microscopes slides
- Reserve one of two group study rooms
- Reserve Speech Lab for presentation practice
NOW SUPPORTING – College Success & Career Guidance (CG)
CG tutors will help students get the most out of their college experience; choose a career or major; explore changing careers; and assess and develop strengths and personal skills.
Topics may include:
- Support with specific CG courses
- College success strategies for any class
- Help with online learning strategies
- Study skills
- Understanding procrastination
- Time management
- Decision making
- Scholarship support
- Test taking strategies
- Financial literacy
- Career planning
- Stress management
- Job finding skills
- Transfer planning
- Confidence building
Welcome to winter term!
- RC Student Learning Center is now open for winter term as of Monday, January 6, 2020
- RC Writing Center will open Monday, January 13, 2020
Center Hours & Closures
- About the Rock Creek Student Learning Center
- Monday – Thursday, 9am-6pm
- Friday, 9am-2pm
- Winter Closures:
- January 20, 2020 – Holiday – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
If you are interested in working for the Rock Creek Student Learning Center, please review our job description and follow the directions to submit your interest. For drop in tutoring, sit at a table, get all your materials ready, and start to study or complete homework. The SLC flag system allows you to notify tutors when you are ready for assistance. When you have a question, raise the flag, and an available tutor will come over as soon as they can.
Academic Success Tutor Jobs
Subjects available for tutoring
How does tutoring work in the SLC?
If you are interested in working for the Rock Creek Student Learning Center, please review our job description and follow the directions to submit your interest.
For drop in tutoring, sit at a table, get all your materials ready, and start to study or complete homework. The SLC flag system allows you to notify tutors when you are ready for assistance. When you have a question, raise the flag, and an available tutor will come over as soon as they can.
- All students must check in and out at the front desk.
- Academic integrity is a critical value in the SLC and the college. When it comes to assessments, tutors may only assist with those that are already graded. They will not help with ungraded quizzes, tests, or take-home exams unless the instructor has explicitly noted on the document that tutoring is permitted.
- When it is busy, there may be a wait. If you are waiting longer than 20 minutes please let the front desk know.
- Borrowed Student Learning Center resources must remain in the center.
- If you bring food into the Student Learning Center, please limit it to small snacks that don’t create strong smells or messes.
- Please keep valuables with you.
- Please provide evaluation in the remarks box when you check out of SLC. Your opinion is important to us.
Tips for Tutoring and Testing
- To best support your own learning, think of tutoring as a partnership that involves you engaging in problem-solving along with the tutor. Tutors will not simply provide answers to problems or assignments.
- When you have missed class and instruction in a course concept, be sure to talk to your instructor during office hours or at least via email. Tutors are not here to replace your instructor or make up for classes that you missed.