Earth Week 2013
- Karen Coulter: Speaker
- MAHB Room 104
Karen Coulter Director of Blue Mountains Biodiversity Project will be speaking on Oregon National Forests and how they are threatened by logging and poisoning. Come learn about old growth forest ecology, threats to forest eco-systems, and how the public can take action.
The documentary “Carbon Nation” will be showing on April 22 from 4 to 6pm at Rock Creek, Sylvania, Cascade and Southeast!
The Library is showcasing books and items on “How to be Sustainable” all week long!
Monday, April 22
- Amy Livingstone, “Return to the Garden”
- 11am to 3pm: Interactive Art mandala
- 12 noon to 12:30: Lecture By Amy Livingstone
- 3pm: Closing ceremony
- All Upper CC MallAn interactive art installation that remembers, mourns, and celebrates the Garden that is right here, right now. Come add a blessing or intention for the healing of the Earth in the co-creation of a community nature mandala.
- 17th Earth Day Birthday Party
- 1:30 to 3:30pm
- Oak Room
- Cake and a showing of the film “Queen of the Sun”
- Screening of “Carbon Nation” Documentary
- 4 to 6pm
- ST 107
- A screening of the documentary “Carbon Nation” will take place at all four campuses.
Tuesday, April 23
- Betty Shelley, “Less is More”
- 11am to 12 noon
- Upper CC Mall
- Getting to one can of garbage a year!
- Student Sustainability Film Festival
- 3 to 5pm
- ST 101
- Maria Cahill of Green Girl Land Development Solutions will introduce the Sylvania Campus Tree Well project. Then come view the Media Institute for Social Change’s youth-produced films focused on solutions that colleges and our communities are doing to address sustainability issues. Plus, gain tips on how to produce your own films.
Wednesday, April 24
- Beyond Rio+20: Combating Environmental Crises through Education and Action
- 2 to 3pm
- Upper CC MallLearn how colleges around the world are implementing sustainable education and practices, through transformative curriculum, collaborative outreach, green job training, and research and development to help foster a healthy and just community, economy, and environment.
Thursday, April 25
- Learning Garden Volunteer Event
- 10am to 2pm
- Learning Garden”Come lend a hand on creating our new Worm Villa out of all natural materials, and help with other Learning Garden activities too!”
- Neal Robinson, Outdoor Educator
Leave No Trace Awareness Workshop
- 2:30 to 4pm
- Learning Garden Salmon BenchLearn the principles of Leave No Trace and how to enjoy the outdoors responsibly in the front-country & backcountry!
Friday, April 26
- April Fong & the Sylvania Habitat Restoration Team: Native Plants Planting Service Project
- 8:30 to 11:30am
- Service project planting native plants in the Wildflower Display Garden east of the PAC and south of the bookstore.
Come watch this optimistic, solutions-based, non-preachy, non-partisan, big tent film that shows tackling climate change boosts the economy, increases national and energy security, and promotes health and a clean environment.
Even if you doubt the severity of the impact of climate change or just don’t buy it at all, this is still a compelling and relevant film that illustrates how solutions to climate change also address other social, economic and national security issues.
Monday, April 22, 4 to 6pm
- Sylvania: ST 107
- Cascade: Cafeteria
- Rock Creek: Bldg 2 Room 110
- Southeast: Tabor 130
Previous events included:
Monday, April 15
- Trash Talkin’
- 12 noon to 1pm
- Student Learning Center (RC 3 128)
View the winning submission to the video competition on Earth Week. Refreshments served.
Tuesday, April 16
- Art Gladiators Sculpture Competition
- 2pm to 4pm
- Bldg. 3 Mall
- Watch our talented student art team transform trash into works of art.
Wednesday, April 17 and Thursday, April 18
- Rock Creek Farmers Market
- 8am to 7pm
- Bldg. 3 Mall
- A food cart in the courtyard, local farmers and vendors showcasing local and sustainable products and information tables.
Friday, April 19
- Garden Clean Up
- 12 noon to 4pm
- Get your garden gloves on and join us in the learning garden to weed, plant and dig. Enjoy some treats in the Earthen Oven and see the pedal power (biking for energy) system in action.