We’re Hiring A Strategic Energy Management (SEM) Associate!
Posted by rachel.zarfas
Portland Community College is looking for a qualified person to join our SEM Leadership Team to reduce energy use and increase our employee engagement activities. The associate will support the college’s Strategic Energy Management program and energy team by monitoring and tracking energy use, identifying energy efficiency opportunities and developing employee awareness and engagement strategies.
This person should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment and will finish the associate position having gained broad experience in various aspects of energy efficiency, project coordination and sustainability. Currently our work is in transition, mainly being remote but we hope to be back on campus in the summer or fall of 2022. We are requesting a year commitment for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the college’s energy and utility management system to monitor and track energy use college-wide to benchmark buildings enrolled in the SEM program and support energy management at PCC.
- Analyze electrical and natural gas utility data for SEM building energy modeling.
- Work closely with Energy Trust of Oregon Energy Coach to review graphs of energy usage monthly and identify areas of energy inefficiency.
- Participate in audits or building “treasure hunts” with our FMS team and Energy Coach to identify energy efficiency opportunities when needed.
- Review building automation systems equipment trends for efficiency opportunities.
- Interview and document standard operating procedures with FMS staff for equipment and HVAC systems and develop written requirements based on energy efficiency best practices.
- Work with the maintenance department to track and update tasks in the Annual Energy Plan.
- Oversee tasks in the US Department of Energy 50001 Ready certification process.
- Create and deliver employee awareness campaigns; including the creation of signage, marketing materials, informational emails, games and competitions.
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of education and training materials.
- Research and identify areas in the organization where energy awareness is low and develop strategies for engagement.
- Develop reporting mechanisms for various stakeholders to understand SEM efforts.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to employees and staff regarding the SEM program.
- Attend energy team meetings on campus or virtual; including taking notes, tracking the completion of action items and the development of agenda items.
- Review the organization’s current purchasing practices, procedures or policies and identify areas to insert energy efficiency requirements.
- Participate in committees as assigned such as Scope 1 & 2, Electric Vehicle working group, staff meetings, etc.
- Assist with event planning such as Earth week or EcoChallenge.
- Interest in working in an energy-related field
- Experience with engaging individuals, communities, and teams
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Familiar with Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Google Docs and Google Sheets
- Experience with virtual platforms: Google Meet, Microsoft Teams and Zoom
- Experience and comfortable with working from home
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in related field
- Ability to work well with others across disciplines and with different viewpoints
- Comfortable taking initiative and working on projects in a self-directed manner
- Strong attention to detail
- Data entry experience
- Minimum one-year commitment
Professional Development Opportunities
- Monthly SEM operations and organizational calls with the Energy Coaches and the Energy Team
- Attend 2 hr. SEM workshops covering continuous improvement best practices and engagement strategies
- Learn about energy monitoring tracking systems and variables affecting energy in the commercial sector
- Become familiar with statistical regression modeling
- Present accomplishments and findings at the end of the year to SEM Team and Energy Coach
- Network with industry professionals and develop a support base for additional learning and career opportunities
- Potential to work with Atrius Building Insights and Energy Star Portfolio Manager
- Participate in implementing aspects of the PCC 2021 Climate Action Plan
- Participate in professional conferences related to sustainability and energy
- Paid internship-starting wage $16/hour
- Flexible work schedule 15-30 hours/week
- Opportunity to gain valuable experience working in higher education
- Great professional development opportunity with Energy Trust of Oregon SEM workshops and a close working relationship with professional energy coaches
- Work with a team of fun and dynamic people that includes sustainability and facility maintenance staff
- Multi-disciplinary energy management approach allows career exploration across a broad spectrum of energy-related fields
- Learn and gain hands-on experience from experts in HVAC systems, Controls Systems, lighting, and electric vehicle infrastructure.
- Opportunity to learn new energy-related software programs
To apply, email your resume, 1page cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com For best consideration apply by Friday, May 6th, 5:00pm 2022 (open until filled).
*We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s welcome. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.