Online and remote learning
The Graphic Design Department will continue to offer classes remotely during the current COVID-19 health challenge. We will continue with our commitment of providing our students with the highest level of instruction, guidance and support in a virtual environment. There are many things for students to consider as they move to or continue with an online learning format. Here are some FAQ’s that might help you with planning for online learning:
- Some classes will require that you attend online lectures as scheduled. Some instructors will take attendance and expect you to be “present” and contributing to the classroom environment, albeit remotely.
- Online/remote learning does not mean that you can work at your own pace. Again, you will be expected to be in class and contribute, and you will also be expected to complete your work as assigned and hand in your assignments on time. Course exams will also be assigned during class time and you will be expected to take those as scheduled.
- Sometimes, online classes can feel isolating. There will be fewer opportunities to interact in the labs and with other students. You will need good time and self-management skills and be open and willing to form virtual study sessions with your classmates, as well as attend office hours with your instructors.
- Because there may be fewer opportunities for impromptu discussions and conversations with your instructors (ie quick questions after class), you will need to make sure you are communicating any challenges that you are having in class with your instructor on a regular basis.
- Communication is especially important in online learning. If you require accommodations, help accessing technology, help connecting to classmates, and tutoring needs with your instructors. You will also need to check your PCC email and classroom announcements on a regular basis.
- See more COVID-19 student resources
- It is strongly recommended that you meet with your academic advisor for help accessing resources and course planning on a regular basis. Here is the email information for your program advisor: email@example.com
- There will be some specific technology requirements. Below is a list of what you will need for your program.
Graphic Design technology requirement for online learning
PCC Graphic Design courses align with industry by training students on Apple computers. Remote Instruction will require:
- Apple computer running MacOS version 10.13 High Sierra (or newer)
- RAM: 4GB (but 8GB is recommended)
- Screen: 1280 x 800 pixels
- Remote instruction requires a web cam, microphone, and speakers (which are already built into most Apple computer models)
- Student subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud
- Fast WiFi – preferably what’s called (2×2). Try this WiFi Speedtest to test your connection