Online bioscience resources
Learn more about the products of the bioscience industry, the local opportunities in this field, and the education and career paths of our students.
Variety of important products
- One essential set of products made by the bioscience industry is protein-based drugs (“biologics”). Take Amgen’s virtual reality tour and learn about Genentech’s drug manufacturing process. Genentech has a large facility in Hillsboro, OR, and hires students from the program.
- Other important products made by bioscience companies are diagnostics. Learn more about local partner Sedia Biosciences and the work they are doing to detect HIV, SARS-CoV-2 (novel coronavirus), and other diseases.
- In fact, bioscience companies around the world are leading the charge in the fight against coronavirus.
- Bioscience companies are involved in a wide variety of sectors, including sustainable agriculture, biofuels, environmental monitoring, forensics, medical devices, and more. Learn more about the variety of bioscience job areas.
- The Portland metro area is home to many bioscience companies. Refer to the Oregon Bioscience Association.
- The employment opportunities and economic impact of the local bioscience industry are growing and skilled bioscience technicians are in demand.
Accessible training and student success
- The Bioscience Technology program serves a wide variety of students, including those with no science background and those with a prior degree. Check out our student spotlight to hear the stories of some of our graduates.
- The program offers certificate programs that can be completed in as little as six months, an AAS degree program that features up to 1,000 hours of hands-on laboratory experience, and the flexibility to choose from a variety of electives to focus training on each student’s goals.
- Graduates of the program are prepared for entry-level positions at diverse bioscience companies or continuing education towards a bachelor’s or higher degree in a related scientific field.