- Location: CC 231 (closed during remote operations)
- Assistant Coordinator, Men of Color Leadership Program: Dr. Clifford C. Meeks
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 971-722-4112
- Chat: Launch chat
- Social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, SoundCloud, and Discord
These are strange and challenging times. We know that our community is strongest when we come together, and we are here to provide support in any way that we can. We are aware that PCC’s physical closure may cause additional stress for many of you, and our priority is the safety and health of our community.
If you need help finding a resource, please reach out to us, and we will do our best to support you. Take care, community. We’ll see you again soon, and in the meantime, we look forward to connecting with you virtually.
– Sylvania MC team
Grounded in critical theory of adult learning, popular education, and a social justice framework, the mission of the Sylvania Multicultural Center is to support the recruitment, retention, and holistic (academic, leadership, professional) success of students of color and to advance diversity, inclusion, and equity campus and district wide.
Centrally located in CC 231, the MC values academic achievement, community-building, and social justice, which is demonstrated through our services and resources, activities and events, and wide variety of leadership opportunities for all students!
- Serving as a welcoming and inclusive space for diverse students by creating a student-led academic learning space and community to connect students to one another, campus and community resources, and leadership opportunities.
- Raising awareness on critical issues including: race/ethnicity, identity, culture, power, oppression, equity, and social justice.
- Promoting critical conversations through student-led activities and programs.
- Building the academic, professional, and leadership skills of students of color.
- Building a welcoming and inclusive campus climate.
- Collaborating with campus, district, and community partners to promote diversity, inclusion, and equity.
Services and resources
We serve the entire Sylvania Campus student body by providing:
- One-on-one peer tutoring
- A quiet place to study and do homework
- Information on campus resources and services
- A scholarship bank for diverse students
- Tours to college and university campuses and multicultural centers
- Information on internships and volunteer opportunities with local community based social justice organizations
Campus events and activities
- Revolutionary Film Series
Features documentaries and movies on social, cultural, economic, political, and environmental issues.
- Real Talk Discussion Group
Student-led discussions on REAL issues affecting students, families, communities, and society. Share your opinion and learn what others think.
- Annual Wacipi Pow-Wow
The Annual Winter Pow Wow is a celebration of Native American culture and ancestry featuring traditional food, arts and crafts vendors, drum groups, and dancers from across the region, attracting more than 1,000 participants each year. Update as of May 2023: Due to construction of the gym, there will be no Portland Community College Powwow this year. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.