Educational benefits for family members

student in PCC cap and gown in front of memorial

As the spouse or child of a permanently disabled or fallen service member, you may qualify for two kinds of educational benefits:

  • Survivors and Dependents Assistance
  • PCC tuition waiver

You can apply for one or both of these benefits. If you need help, please contact us.

Survivors and Dependents Assistance

Veterans Affairs provides educational stipends to spouses and dependents of permanently disabled and fallen service members through the Survivors and Dependents Assistance Program.

How to apply

To begin your Survivors and Dependents Assistance benefits, follow all the steps for applying for veterans benefits, starting with Step 1: Apply with the VA.

PCC tuition waiver

In recognition of your loved one’s service to our country, we are honored to provide you the opportunity to earn an associate’s degree - tuition free - through PCC. The tuition waiver is offered to the children and spouses of permanently disabled or fallen service members. The waiver provides you with the opportunity to earn a certificate or associates degree and will cover up to 135 credits or your desired degree or certificate (whichever comes first).

Tuition waiver eligibility

  • You must be the child or spouse of a veteran who was killed or became permanently disabled as a result of active service in the Armed Forces, or died as a result of a service-connected permanent disability.
  • Dependents must enroll by the age of 23 to take advantage of the waiver.
  • You must apply for the waiver within 21 years after the date of death or disability.
  • You must be a degree seeking student with a declared major.
  • Only college-level courses (100 or higher) are eligible for the waiver.
  • Only classes that satisfy your degree requirements are eligible for the waiver.
  • Course fees or other college expenses are not covered by the waiver.

How to apply

  1. Step 1: Get admitted

    If you haven't taken a class at PCC in the last two years, you need to apply for admission. We recommend that you meet with an academic advisor to help you choose a major and make a long-term academic plan.

  2. Step 2: Prepare your documentation

    Get together the following documentation:

    • Proof of dependent status (DD Form 93 or other supporting document)
    • Proof of the death or permanent disability (DD 214 or other documentation from the VA of service-connected disability rating, stating percentage determined)
    • Proof of residency in Oregon (valid state or federal photo ID with Oregon address)
  3. Step 3: Complete application

    Print and complete the application for tuition waiver.

  4. Step 4: Submit application

    Bring the application and required documents to any Student Account Services office. Your application and documents may be submitted by fax or mail, but your photo ID must be presented in person at Student Account Services for validation.

  5. Step 5: Register and pay

    Register for classes, and then pay your fees using PCC-Pay in the MyPCC Paying for College tab.

How the waiver is applied to your student account

Tuition waivers can impact other funding, such as financial aid or scholarships. If you have other sources of funding, contact Veteran Services or Student Account Services to discuss how the waiver will affect your account.

In short, here is how the waiver is applied:

  • If the veteran was killed while on active duty, or died as a result of a service-connected permanent disability, the waiver is applied to your account in addition to other funding, such as financial aid or scholarships.
  • If the veteran became permanently disabled while on active duty, or died as the result of a disability that was not permanent, the waiver is only applied to tuition that is not already covered by other funding, such as financial aid or scholarships.