Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements?

For PCC Faculty-Led Programs
  • 18 years of age or older by program start date.
  • Good academic and disciplinary standing.
  • Prerequisites for the course(s) included in the program to which you are applying.
  • Attend an Education Abroad First Steps Information Session.
  • Independence, self-reliance, and maturity necessary to obtain the benefits of studying abroad.
  • Willingness and ability to embrace the challenges of studying abroad.
  • Proof of Covid-19 vaccination.
For non-PCC study abroad programs

It depends on the program. Most programs require students to be in good academic standing; many have a minimum GPA requirement. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation, academic references, official college transcripts, and additional pre-requisites. Students should consult individual program pages for information regarding participation requirements and application deadlines.

When should I begin the application and planning process, and how do I get started?

In general, students should begin the application process months before they intend to study abroad, especially if they plan to apply for scholarships (many education abroad scholarship programs have a single application deadline each year).

To get started, review the information on this website, and then attend a general information session (see upcoming sessions) or schedule an appointment with an Education Abroad Advisor (studyabroad@pcc.edu).

What will it cost?

Costs for education abroad programs vary. For details on specific program costs, please refer to individual program web pages.

Can I use my financial aid to help fund my program?

Yes! In general, students enrolled in a degree program at PCC can apply federal financial aid to any program that offers PCC credit, or that offers PSU credit through our co-admission agreement with PSU. Specifics will depend on the program and the individual student’s financial aid situation.

If you have questions about using your financial aid to fund your program, please fill out this google form. Completing the form will put you in contact with a PCC Financial Aid Advisor.

Are there scholarships for education abroad programs?

Yes! There are many scholarships that can be used for education abroad programs. Scholarship deadlines are often much earlier than program deadlines, so you should attend a general information session at least a year prior to your intended education abroad term if you plan to apply for scholarships. For example, if you are planning to study abroad during summer term, reach out to the Ed Abroad Office during the prior fall term.

In addition, any PCC Foundation Scholarships you are eligible for can apply to a PCC Education Abroad program.

Can I work overseas while participating in a education abroad program?

In general, you should not expect to work for pay while studying abroad; labor laws in most countries will not allow you to seek paid employment while studying as an international student. There are many programs which opportunities to enroll in for-credit (unpaid) internships, which can be a valuable experience.

Where will I live while abroad?

Program housing options may include apartment living, dormitory living, and host family living. Students can find out what type of living arrangements are offered by reviewing the program logistics section of an individual program web page.

Will the credits transfer?

Yes. Students participating in a PCC-sponsored education abroad program receive 12-15 credits per full academic term.

Do I need to speak the language?

It depends on the program and its focus; many options are available to students with little or no prior language study. Some programs are focused on language study abroad, some are immersive and will require a high level of competency in the host language, and some are conducted entirely in English.

Do I need a passport or visas to study overseas?

All students require a passport when traveling out of the country. Students may apply in person at selected post offices, at federal or state courts of records, or at one of the passport agencies of the U.S. Department of State (state.gov). It is important that students apply early for new or renewed passports, as application processing can take from 6 to 10 weeks. Visit our passport information page for more guidance.

A visa is written permission to visit a country granted by the government of that country. Requirements vary from country to country. Information relating to visas will be included in your pre-departure advising process.

I am an older student, can I still study abroad?

Yes! PCC sends many non-traditional students to study overseas.

I’m interested in the experience of learning abroad, but I’m not enrolled as a PCC degree student. Do you have non-credit options?

All programs offered through the Education Abroad Office require students to be enrolled as full-time degree students at PCC while abroad. If you are interested in non-credit educational travel, see the Travel Programs offered through PCC’s Community Education program.