As a PCC student, you have four main categories of study abroad options:
- PCC faculty-led programs
- Barcelona exchange program
- PSU programs (through co-enrollment)
- Other (including intern/co-op abroad and fully-funded summer programs)
(If you’re not sure where to start, see below for tips on How to Choose a Program.)
How to Choose a Study Abroad Program
The study abroad process can be overwhelming, but don’t panic! Remember, you sit in the driver’s seat and you can make this happen.
Identify your goals
Why do you want to study abroad? Consider your primary and secondary wants/needs.
- Primary goals:
- Study a specific academic subject
- Live in a particular location
- Become proficient in a specific language
- Secondary goals:
- Participate in an internship or volunteer
- Live in a big city vs. a small town
- Live with a homestay family, in an apartment, or in a residence hall
Pinpoint your ideal time and length of term to study abroad
Consider your academic career, your obligations at home, and your financial means.
Research the programs
Decide which of the PCC options work best for you:
- PCC Faculty-Led Program
- PSU Study Abroad (with PCC-PSU Co-Admission)
- Fully Funded Summer Programs*
- Intern/co-op/independent study
*Due to their competitive nature, students should also apply to another study abroad program as a back-up.
Start with the PCC website
- Take the time to read through and compare a variety of programs.
- Take notes.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
- Meet with someone who has gone on the program, review photos, consider the dates of the program, and read the fine print.
Use your resources
- PCC Education Abroad Office
- Education Abroad Peer Mentors
- Academic Advisor
- PSU Education Abroad Advisor or Peer Advisor
- The Fabulous World Wide Web
See upcoming Dates and Deadlines.
To see how advising for and applying to different types of programs compares, take a look at our flowchart. Please note that no matter which program option you choose, you will need to meet with PCC Education Abroad as your first step.