This content was published: June 1, 2018. Phone numbers, email addresses, and other information may have changed.
FISH of Vancouver: Full-Time AmeriCorps VISTA Position Application open now!
Posted by Madison Omohundro
AmeriCorps VISTA is looking for a well-qualified individual to fill a full-time Volunteer Coordinator position!
FISH (Friends in Service to Humanity) of Vancouver seeks an AmeriCorps VISTA to develop a formal and ongoing volunteer recruitment and training program with an emphasis on developing a sustainable program beyond the one-year of service.
- Develop and maintain promotions, materials and outreach for volunteer recruitment using volunteer match sides (VolunteerMatch, Craigslist, etc.) community connections (RSVP, The Columbian, VolunTeen, WSU-V, etc.) FISH website and word-of-mouth opportunities. Determine speaking opportunities for presentation about FISH volunteer needs. Determine other avenues for recruitment.
- Facilitate new volunteer communications- responding to requests via website, email, phone, and in-person. Funnel various volunteers to appropriate roles within the organization.
- Create student or group engagement opportunities, as needed. Oversee scheduling communication, planning, and implementation of engagements.
- Collaborate among program areas for strategic/effective use of volunteer opportunities (i.e., staff tasks that can be transitioned to volunteer roles.)
- Determine training needs of each volunteer position.
- Develop formal training program with the assistance of the Operations Manger and team leaders
- Oversee volunteer trainings as needed for the individual program area. This ranges from large group volunteer orientations to structured trainings and testing in more specified roles, i.e., reception, truck driving, etc.
- Conduct annual training of volunteer leadership teams
- Determine operational needs and make sure volunteer staffing level is adequate.
- Learn and use WhenIWork software to schedule and communicate with volunteers.
- Assist with facilitating community outreach opportunities through volunteer staffing of events.
- Provide volunteer coordinator at events.
- Oversee special days of service including MLK Jr Day of Service
- Organize volunteer recognition including events.
- Maintain connection and relationship among individual volunteers and teams.
- Maintain supplies needed to facilitate volunteer opportunities.
- Ability to set and meet goals, prioritize, plan, and manage work independently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Capable of following written and oral directions
- Ability to recruit and work with a diverse group of volunteers of all ages and skill levels
- Ability to provide formal and informal training for volunteers
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel) with willingness to learn new programs
About the Organization
FISH of Vancouver is a well-established food pantry located in downtown Vancouver, WA. We currently provide emergency nutritious food to approximately 4,000-5,000 individuals monthly including those who are unemployed/low income, children, the elderly and individuals without homes. FISH is a nonprofit organization run by a small, paid staff and volunteers and is funded entirely by donations. For more information, please visit fishvancouver.org
About the Volunteer Opportunities Newsletter
The Volunteer Opportunities Newsletter allows students, faculty, and staff at PCC a more comprehensive look at volunteer needs and opportunities from our community partners. Our hope is that the newsletter will allow subscribers to stay better informed about community service opportunities in the tri-county areas of Portland, Oregon, as well as non-profit internships and scholarships available locally and nationally.
Subscribe to the Newsletter
The newsletter is a compilation of recent community announcements posted on the CBL Newsfeed and it is emailed to subscribers twice a month.