National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) 2023
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) and we want everyone at Portland Community College to participate. NDEAM celebrates the contributions of workers with disabilities and inclusive employment policies and practices. The theme for NDEAM 2023 is “Advancing Access & Equity.”
The Committee for Accessible College Culture, partnering with our ADA Coordinator, ADA/504 Compliance Manager, staff from Accessible Education & Disability Resources (AEDR), Human Resources and student leaders, encourage you to attend the following highlighted events and resources.
Why Celebrate National Disability Employment Awareness Month?
People with disabilities are entrepreneurs, innovators, and community leaders. They perform all levels and types of jobs, in public and private businesses of all sizes. Employees with disabilities often overcome significant barriers. They exemplify desirable qualities, including adaptability and resourcefulness.
Subscribe to Receive Email Updates
NDEAM 2023 Highlighted Events
NDEAM 2023 Online Resource and Professional Development Highlights
For NDEAM 2023 we are highlighting several important resources available anytime online.
These asynchronous trainings are available by logging in to MyCareer@PCC and searching for the following presentation titles using the Search Training link:
- Understanding Accessible Education
- OL 305: Accessibility and Universal Design
- OL 306: Accessible Word Documents
- OL 307: Accessible Presentation Slides
- OL 308: Accessible PDFs
- Supporting Workers with Disabilities by Liz Johnson
Resources & Guides
- Accessible Building Features Map
- Accessible Education and Disability Resources Handouts
- Inclusive Event Planning Checklist
- Creating Accessible Content
- Job Accommodation Network
- Accessible Wayfinding at PCC
- AEDR Apps We Like Spaces Page (requires login to MyPCC)
- Google Workspace User Guide to Accessibility
- Microsoft Accessibility
Confronting Ableism among Academics: Creating an Affinity Space for Disabled Staff and Faculty
Review “Confronting Ableism among Academics: Creating an Affinity Space for Disabled Staff and Faculty” a poster presentation by James Albrecht, PCC Accessibility Specialist:
- Confronting Ableism Poster – PDF
- Confronting Ableism – Accessible Text