As an instructor, you are required to ensure that the content used in your classes are accessible to all students. This website shows you how to meet this requirement. Read more about the legal side of accessibility.
This site is meant mainly to help instructors. Help for online students with disabilities is another website, but which can also be found under the Help menu in D2L.
Instructors: use these step-by-step guides to make your content accessible. (Or see how a course is evaluated for accessibility to review your content.)
- D2L Brightspace / Webpages
- Microsoft Word
- Google Docs
- Math & Science
- Audio & Video
- Complex Images
Check the accessibility of your content with these accessibility checking tools!
Who’s responsible for accessibility in online courses?
Accessibility is the shared responsibility of the instructor, Disability Services and Online Learning. This chart outlines who’s responsible for accessibility of an online course. Let’s work together to make sure all students have equal opportunity to achieve their educational goals.
Questions to ask publishers
Online materials provided by publishers must be accessible. If not, you as the instructor will need to provide an accessible, equally effective learning experience option for each inaccessible one. Ask your publisher these questions before adopting tools and materials.
Get help with your content
- Talk to an Accessibility Advocate
- If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, contact firstname.lastname@example.org [opens in new window].
- Register for an Upcoming Accessibility Training
- Training is provided on how to create a variety of accessible documents, organize course content in D2L Brightspace, and DIY accessibility checking.
- Watch a pre-recorded training
- Watch a training on document and media accessibility online, and check out the links to pre-recorded webinars from some of the best and brightest in the field of accessibility.
- Accessibility Q&A
- See questions other instructors have asked about the accessibility of their online courses.