Out-of-State Academic Student Complaint Procedure

This page provides information for students taking online classes at Portland Community College (PCC) who live outside of Oregon.

It is recommended that students taking online classes at PCC first pursue their concerns with the college. Students should review the Appeals, Complaints, and Feedback webpage, and then may submit an Online Complaint Form.

Concerns involving harassment, or discrimination by a college staff member on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status should be directed to the PCC’s Office of Equity and Inclusion Officer. Report an Incident Form.

All students should be aware of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

If after following the PCC’s Procedure, if the issue cannot be resolved internally, the student may seek additional resolution.  Refer to the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) student complaint webpage. Or students may contact the appropriate state agency in their home state by referring to the state and agency contact list.

PCC is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCU).

Contact PCC’s Appeals, Complaints, and Feedback Resolution office directly by emailing Appeals.Complaints.Feedback@pcc.edu.