AmeriCorps is a program that provides tuition vouchers for volunteers in service to America. If you are eligible for an AmeriCorps voucher, you can use it pay your tuition and related costs. Students must request funds via AmeriCorps online process.
How to use AmeriCorps vouchers
- If you are a new member, register for a new AmeriCorps Member account and allow 24 hours for your account to be activated.
- Register for classes at PCC.
- Log in to your Americorp Member account to request your funds. Be sure to specify which term the funds are for.
- After your request is submitted, the Financial Aid Office at PCC will certify your request and determine how much money you are eligible to receive.
- Monitor your AmeriCorps account; confirm your request shows received and "accepted by institution".
- Monitor your account via MyPCC Paying for College. Your AmeriCorps payment should be posted to your account within 45 days from the date your request was accepted by PCC.
- For books, allow 48 hours after your AmeriCorps account shows “accepted by institution” before you visit the bookstore. Check in with the bookstore customer service desk. Remember, you may only charge books during specific dates each term.
For help, contact the AmeriCorps Student Hotline: 1-888-507-5962
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I don’t have a computer. How can I request my funds online?
A. Current term students can use any PCC computer lab, library or any public library. Remember to log out when done.
Q. Forget your AmeriCorps user name or password?
A. Go to the AmeriCorp login page and follow the online instructions or contact the AmeriCorps hotline number.
Q. Can I use AmeriCorps funds to pay for non-credit classes?
A. Yes. You may use your funds to pay for non-credit classes and course materials.
Q. My request was denied. What should I do?
A. First, verify you are registered for the term for which you wish to receive funds, then contact Phil Hess if you have questions about your denial.
Q. When do I get my money?
A. If you are a PCC student who completed a request prior to the beginning of term, any refund in excess of the amount you owe PCC will be issued to you beginning the 3rd Wednesday of term. Students of Columbia Gorge and Tillamook Bay, please contact the business office at your primary college.
Q. Why was my refund delayed?
A. If you alter your class schedule after submitting your Americorps request, the amount must be re-certified, which may cause a delay. It is also possible PCC is missing necessary information (name, social security no. and address) or the information does not match Americorps records. To verify or update your PCC record, fill out the Student Records Change Form.
Q. My funds were delayed. Will my courses be deleted?
A. If your funds were certified by the Financial Aid Office by the payment due date, your courses should be protected from deletion.
Q. Can I use AmeriCorps to pay my past due account?
A. Typically not. The only exception is if you were an active AmeriCorps member AND eligible to receive funds before you incurred the debt with the college. Additional information is available through the campus business office.
Q. Can I keep my refund if the class is cancelled or dropped?
A. No. You are only eligible for AmeriCorps funding if you attend class. PCC is obligated to notify AmeriCorps if your enrollment drops. The college must collect the repayment from you immediately to reimburse AmeriCorps. If repayment causes a financial hardship, you may file an appeal with AmeriCorps to retain the funds. If granted, the income becomes taxable and AmeriCorps will file a report with the IRS.