Applicants must be a Registered Radiologic Technologist (ARRT), Ultrasound Technologist, Nuclear Medicine Technologist or Radiation Therapy Technologist by program start. Radiography students who will be registry eligible may apply – but must be registered before the beginning of the MRI Program.
MRI Safety Questionnaire
MRI involves the use of very strong magnetic fields that are always present, even when imaging is not occurring. It is not safe for some individuals to work in the presence of magnetic fields due to medical conditions, metallic and/or magnetic devices within their bodies. All applicants must complete a MRI Safety Questionnaire as a part of the application process. The safety questionnaire is included in the MRI Technologist Training admissions application.
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening
Applicants must be advised that if selected into the MRI Technologist Training Program, they must successfully pass both a criminal background check and drug screen. The hospital affiliates will not allow any student into clinic without successful completion of both tests. Information concerning the Criminal Background Check process will be made available through the program's office, Room 306 in the HT building, Sylvania Campus.
The MRI application for Fall 2018 admission is now closed. Applications for Fall 2019 admission will be accepted from March 1 through April 15 2019. All application materials must be received in the Health Admissions Office (Sylvania Campus, CC 208 ) by 5pm on April 15, 2019. Late application materials, faxed materials and/or postmarked dates will not be accepted.
When applying, please submit the following:
- The 2019 MRI Technologist Training Program Application will be posted here on February 1, 2019.
- $25 Application fee (Non-Refundable). Checks or money orders should be made out to Portland Community College.
- Copy of RTR, RDMS, NMTCB, RTT or other certification.
- Official transcripts of course completions and copies of special certifications or awards.
- Three MRI Applicant Recommendation forms (included in the MRI technologist training admission application packet). All three Applicant Recommendation forms must be submitted in a sealed envelopes with the recommender's signature across the seal. Sealed envelopes should be returned to you to be included with your other application materials.
- Application Essay – Response to Supplemental Questions (one page typed).
- MRI Safety Questionnaire (included in the MRI Admission Application packet).
Submit application documents to:
Portland Community College
Health Admissions Office – SY, CC 208
P.O. Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
How does the Selection Process work?
You submit a completed application to PCC. We (PCC) will then assign you two (2) clinical sites to contact for a job shadow/interview. (Do not contact the clinical sites until we contact you with site assignment and instructions.) Your site visit scores will be added to your point total. The clinical sites will review your application, letters of recommendation, site preference sheet and one-page essay. (See Selection Criteria for more information.) The clinical sites' representatives will then gather to select students the first week of June 2019. You will be notified at the end of that week.