Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon Portland Community College

Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between Sign Language Studies (ASL) classes, Deaf Studies, and the Sign Language Interpreting Program?

Sign Language Studies (ASL) classes are part of the prerequisites for applying for the Deaf Studies Certificate program and the Sign Language Interpreting Program (SLIP). What is the difference between the certificates and the associate’s degree?

  • Certificates: A certificate is granted to students who complete a course of study in our department. This can be the one-year certificate in Deaf Studies, or the two-year certificate in Sign Language Interpretation. For more information regarding which course of study is appropriate for you, contact the SLIP department at 971-722-4672 or sign@pcc.edu.
  • Associate’s Degree: To complete the AAS degree in Sign Language Interpretation, students must also complete general education courses. More information about obtaining an Associate of Applied Science can be obtained from an academic advisor or the college catalog.

Can I transfer to a four-year college after the SLIP?

We have a block transfer agreement with Portland State University and Gallaudet University. This makes it easy to transfer and complete a bachelor’s degree.

Do I have to meet the same prerequisites if I already have a college degree?

If you have completed equivalent coursework at another institution, you can ask to have your transcript and/or knowledge evaluated by our department for appropriate placement into our courses.

I have a bachelor’s degree already. Do I need to get the AAS in Interpreting or can I just get the certificate?

You can pursue only the certificate if you wish.

I’ve taken writing classes at another college. Can WR 121 be waived? Can Child Development/Human Development be waived if I’ve taken similar courses elsewhere?

If you have completed an equivalent level of coursework, the prerequisite may be waived. Contact the SLIP department chair for consideration.

Are the SLIP classes offered online, part-time, or in the evenings?

All of our classes are offered on the Sylvania Campus, full time, during the day. Because students move through the program in cohorts, courses are offered in single sections and a particular sequence.

How long does the SLIP program take to complete?

It takes two years (six terms) to complete the core coursework. Some students stay longer to complete internships before they graduate. Core courses are not offered during the summer; however, students often use the summer term to complete general education requirements if they are pursuing the AAS degree.

How much time do I need to devote to homework, practice, and studying?

The SLIP is an intensive program that requires significant time for homework, practice, and study. It is highly recommended that students not attempt to work full-time while in the program. For most college classes, one hour of study/homework is normal for each hour spent in class. Practice is also necessary, for which space, materials, and equipment are provided, to a limited extent, on campus.

In addition to tuition, books, and college fees, are there other costs?

There are occasionally fees for workshops, seminars, and other community events that contribute greatly to enrichment, skills development, and community involvement.

How do I get started?

Students can begin the full-time, two-year program only in the fall term. Enrollment is based on an application and screening process. View the apply page for more information.