About the Opportunity Center
Our mission is to close opportunity gaps and prepare students for careers with economic mobility.
The Opportunity Centers are centralized hubs that connect Portland students, employers, and community members to Portland Community College (PCC). With an emphasis on supporting underserved communities, Opportunity Centers create upward mobility by combining education and training from PCC while integrating benefits and resources from local governments and social services.
Collaboration for equitable student success
Staff from community-based organizations, public sector partners, and others are united by a focus on equity. They work closely together to make sure non-traditional students have all of the wrap-around services and coordinated support they need to achieve their goals.
Connecting employers and students
Opportunity Centers help students solidify employment after completing education and training and provide resources that support job retention and career advancement. Employers can find diverse and educated talent by connecting with PCC graduates and students at the Opportunity Center. They can also work with staff and on-site partners to establish various work-based learning experiences leading to employment opportunities.
On-site services from PCC may include
- On-ramp to PCC classes that prepare students to succeed at PCC
- Adult basic skills, GED, and ESOL classes
- Career technical education (CTE) courses
- Non-credit workforce training and professional development courses
- Career exploration and college readiness workshops
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
- Job fairs
- Career and academic coaching
Partners providing on-site services include
- Department of Human Services
- Local housing authorities
- Local community-based organizations
Potential resources available to students
- Housing assistance
- Transportation and food resources